Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my '00 dyno'd and above 5500 rpm the hp & torque drop off. The line wavered on all 7 tests. The guy doing the test said it was most likely the valve springs since the motor has 96K on it. I R&R'D valve springs on my
'69 Z28 30 years ago but that was a different life. If anyone has replaced their own springs I'd appreciate the how-to so I can decide whether to take it on myself or just go out back and shake the money tree again.

I guess some of you are wondering what the old dog put out. Well, it wasn't bad! With no engine mods and only cold air, headers and ZO6 exhaust it released 340 hp and 350 torque.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would recommend doing a complete valve job if you are going to replace the springs. Requires pulling the heads.
How is your compression?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pressurize each cylinder with compressed air and remove each spring one at a time with the proper tool, pretty much the same way you did the 69. I would replace all the oil seals also. Sure it would be nice to pull the heads and do a complete valve job but thats way more involving the a simple valve spring replacment, and if compression is good, its not needed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i would highly suggest the Crane Cams tool. SAVES A TON OF TIME!!! and is very reliable. Mind as well replace the pushrods while you are at it. Those stock ones are prone for bending.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, sorry I didn't respond to your help earlier, just got back from vacation. The compression is at 200 in all but 2 cylinders and they're at
195. The test done included wet, dry and leak. Also, I'm more of a 'back-yard' mechanic. From the feedback I've got I'm thinking the springs are within my limited capabilities but after reading the step by step of r & r of the cam I think that probably is more than I want to tackle.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Keep us posted as to how it comes out. Maybe some step by step Pictures. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts