Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every time I need to work on the 84' it's always a battle to get her up into the air. The limited access lifting points are no fun, even with a low profile jack. Whether I'm using ramps or jack stands, or a combination of both, its never easy and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks out there.

So, how do you lift your vette?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I put my jack about halfway between the front and rear wheels. Make sure that the jack is lifting on the frame, and not touching anything that could be crushed (like fuel lines). If I intend to remove the wheels, I try to remember to loosen them just a bit prior to getting them in the air!

When the car is off the ground, then I slide one stand just ahead of the rear wheel (in the flat of the frame - there's a nice spot for it), and the other stand just after the front wheel (again, there's a nice place to put it).

That gets one side up - I then move around to the other side of the car and repeat the procedure.

If you need access to the engine compartment while the car's in the air, then pop the hood before you raise the car. I try to avoid opening the doors when the car isn't resting on the suspension, but I'm not sure it would be a real problem.

Steven

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Currently, I use Race Ramps, but I've put on a few too many pounds on my old frame and it's getting tough to squeeze under the car. Once my new driveway with a separate parking pad is complete, I'll be upgrading to a Kwik-Lift.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I got too old for the jack and ramp thing and laying on the floor, so now I lift it like this.:D

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you guys with the car lifts have an unfair advantage:laughing:

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Bob - You should submit that picture for the wallpaper competition. I swear that looks so freaking cool! :devil:
Damn, thats a great idea, I think I'll do that.:thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts