Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if anyone knows how to polish your own aluminum. I have an old manifold I think I wanna practice on. I have a dremel and such...but I'm not sure exactly how its done...

Oh, and how durable is it when it's polished? will it need a clearcoat or something?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
you'll need a fiber wheel and jewelers rouge. I think you'll burn up the Dremel. A more robust grinder like a die grinder is a much better tool.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've poslished aluminum castings on motorcycles and airplanes and find the best way is to start with a file to remove the really rough stuff then start sanding with fairly coarse sandpaper and progress to finer and finer sandpaper until you have a nice smooth surface. Then use a fine grade of steel wool. Finally a cotton wheel with rouge to really bring out the shine. It will need continual polishing unless you coat is with something to prevent oxidation. Zoop seal is good for this.

For odd shapes like manifolds, power tools are pretty useless until you get to the final polishing with the wheel. Be prepared to invest lots of elbow grease.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My son just finished polising up the entire intake on my '88. Looks GREAT. He spent the better part of a week doing it. Started out with sandpaper on a Portre Cable orbital then went to a polishing wheel on a 3/4HP motor. The wheel looks to be about 10 to 12" in diameter. There was a good bit of hand sanding and polishing too.

Now my question....what do you put on the aluminum to keep it looking good?

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
[that rudge works great ]

AlwaysWave said:
you'll need a fiber wheel and jewelers rouge. I think you'll burn up the Dremel. A more robust grinder like a die grinder is a much better tool.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
[that rudge works great ] do u think a

AlwaysWave said:
polished surface is hotter than lets say sand blast finish ?? cosmo

·
Registered
0 Posts
Aluminum Polishing Tricks

On the final polish out, use Mother's paste and work it into the aluminum until the paste darkens. Then, liberally, dip a terrycloth towel in common baking flour. Wipe the aluminum with the floured towel. The flour will pull out the polish and bring up a chrome-like shine alot faster.

C'ya shine
D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jim Sitton said:
I've poslished aluminum castings on motorcycles and airplanes and find the best way is to start with a file to remove the really rough stuff then start sanding with fairly coarse sandpaper and progress to finer and finer sandpaper until you have a nice smooth surface. Then use a fine grade of steel wool. Finally a cotton wheel with rouge to really bring out the shine. It will need continual polishing unless you coat is with something to prevent oxidation. Zoop seal is good for this.

For odd shapes like manifolds, power tools are pretty useless until you get to the final polishing with the wheel. Be prepared to invest lots of elbow grease.
:agree: :agree:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I start with 200 grit sandpaper and finish with 2500 grit,it looks like a mirror,(no joke) and no scratchs.It's hard to get a great look at my picture,but i'm almost done polishing everything,throttle body,tensioners,a/c and more......It very tedious,plan on hours to look like chrome or a mirror.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts