Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try and record it.... WOW!

With the cats gutted, the Corsa's go from this wimpy quiet "thin" sound to a GROWLING, CRACKLING wicked monster.

You won't BELIEVE the sound difference, go through a tunnel and rap the throttle and it sounds like a wicked street rod.

Love it. Love it. Love it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey Pat, if you manage to get a good recording of it, please post for the rest of us.

:smokin:

By the way, I hope the smog police aren't reading the forum or you're in so much poopie :spanked:

:D :D

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
64vette said:
Hey Pat, if you manage to get a good recording of it, please post for the rest of us.

:smokin:

By the way, I hope the smog police aren't reading the forum or you're in so much poopie :spanked:

:D :D
Yea, being cuffed would not be a new experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Firstly, let me start by saying that I am NOT a Greenie or Over-Zealous Environmentalist, so don't take this the wrong way. Nor am I a chemist, this is just from reading, so if you think I'm talking BS, then so be it. It's just an FYI on this topic. Do with this snippet of information what you please, doesn't bother me. And 4 or 5 paragraphs do not do this topic justice anyway.

Something most people already know...
When Catalytic Converters were introduced, they were designed to chemically alter the contents of your exhaust emissions into something not so harmful. It's still mostly crap, just not quite as bad crap.

However, the lead in your fuel, that was in there to raise it's octane rating, very rapidly destroyed catalytic converters. Enter Unleaded Fuel. Exit Octane Rating.

Something not many people know...
Fuel suppliers had to replace this octane rating somehow. With what? Toluene and Benzene. Both of these are KNOWN cancer causing agents. An efficient operating catalytic converter will remove mostly all of these, and a few other, very bad chemicals from the exhaust. But a cat will only begin to do this when it is sufficiently hot. You all know the distinct smell that all unleaded vehicles have when they are first started. That is the smell of the exhaust before the cat is operating properly. Not good stuff to breathe, but it generally doesn't last very long because the cat warms up quickly. A gutted cat will never reduce the levels of these carcinogenic agents, which are apparently worse than the lead they replaced. Do not wash your parts or hands in unleaded fuel, and try to aviod breathing unconverted exhaust.

Having said that, I'm not going to go on about it, and I promise I won't raise the topic again. Just as long as you are aware. We're all adults here. I'm all for increasing horsepower, any way you can get/get away with/afford. But this one might not just hurt the "Smog Police".

Lesson over, class dismissed. I'll just get off my soapbox now.....

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
gutted cats and gutted muffler's here.i bet my car still burn's way cleaner than my neigbor's 66 chevelle 454c.i.so i will never feel guilty about no-cat's.
actually,there still there,that's not illegal,there just hollow.that's must be how they came when i bought the car.:lookinup: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My dad gutted the cat on his VW Jetta III before he replaced it and it had quite a growl for a 4 banger

·
Registered
379 Posts
LD85,
That sounds totally awesome! what other mods were done to it at that point? that sounds way to wicked! Hey Pat does yours sound anything like that?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Just had my Random Tech Cat installed on my '84.
Big time sound difference. Jury still out on if I like the increase in sound or not. (FlowMasters)
Better performance, Can tell a little more HP. Wonder how much more?
At least I kept it smog legal.
tony

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1996man said:
LD85,
That sounds totally awesome! what other mods were done to it at that point? that sounds way to wicked! Hey Pat does yours sound anything like that?
THERE YA GO! That's the closest I've heard. I can't wait to find something to record it with. Time to talk to the neighbors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
I am going to try and record it.... WOW!

With the cats gutted, the Corsa's go from this wimpy quiet "thin" sound to a GROWLING, CRACKLING wicked monster.

You won't BELIEVE the sound difference, go through a tunnel and rap the throttle and it sounds like a wicked street rod.

Love it. Love it. Love it.
I know what you mean, I use headers too along with the B&B-tri-flow. I do not know how your powercurve is, but my L98 is converted too a Highend engine........awsome!:D :D :D :D

The chemical toxic things.....owww.....I did not know.......mmmmm....maby I should buy soms racekats?????:huh:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I know what you mean Patrick!

I've been free flow since late '99/early '00. Mine isn't that loud at cruise. WOT, sure it has the nice crackle and when you let off you hear the pops a bit.

My in car vid on the challenge vid site is free flow.

You've got to love going through tunnels too! That rules heheheh.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jay 383 said:
I know what you mean Patrick!

I've been free flow since late '99/early '00. Mine isn't that loud at cruise. WOT, sure it has the nice crackle and when you let off you hear the pops a bit.

My in car vid on the challenge vid site is free flow.

You've got to love going through tunnels too! That rules heheheh.:thumbsup:
I love tunnels!!!! Damn does it sound sweet.

Here is my attempt at recording it this morning...

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5504

·
Registered
93 Posts
I changed the Trans Am to a Carsound Cat. and the stock WS6 exhaust sounds MUCH deeper and louder. Will your LT4 pass emmision tests??? I wanted to change my Vette`s exhaust to Hooker Long tubes, a pair of Random Tech Cats , and a Poewr Effects adjustable cat back exhaust system.I REALLY want both of my GM`s legal.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
http://www.wesleyhealth.com/jimtemp/Jay%20In%20Car%2012.0%20KILLING%20THE%20TIRES.WMV

thats the in car with no cats. yep, those we're drag radials smoking for two seconds or so!!

torque is awesome. [email protected] was the time if you're wondering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts