Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
I dont know much about diffs, other than the fact that they let us lay down 2 rubber tracks instead of one, :thumbsup: but gary (gtr1999) knows a lot about them and should chime in soon. Otherwise, Looks good to me! :laughing:

·
Registered
332 Posts
my thoughts are it has had a recent rebuild as it looks very clean and the yellow indicator paint would have gone into the oil with a bit of use. was it quiet?:D

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
Hi guys,
Looks pretty stock to me. The RH yoke appears to be mushroomed, maybe has a shim behind the snap ring?.

If it was rebuilt it was pretty basic and not how I would recommend or do them.If there is a shim in there then they didn't know what they were doing.

The posi case is stone stock, springs, plates, rough casting. Probably has the snowflake clutches in it. I can't see the RG bolts but they appear to be stock with washers. The 78-79's used to have flanged head washers which often backed out so they might have been replaced.

Check the endplay in the yokes, the backlash, do a pattern check to see what the pattern looks like then you can decide what to do, if anything.

If it were mine I would rebuild it the way I do all of them, but that is your call.

Good luck

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gary. Here are a few more pics. Does this highlight what you are referring to (mushroomed yoke)? In the first picture above there was a piece of RTV that had fallen in upon removing the cover. The RG bolts do appear to be stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts