Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing the car yesterday and got to the rims. Had a stupid thought that I should take all the tires off so I can wash the inner rim area.

I'm taking all the tires off the car this weekend for a complete cleaning. The wife will be :surprised

How far do you go?

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Well here's a example...I've been driving my Vette just about daily and with all of the construction in this town it's pretty dusty. I'll dust the car off every night but hadn't opened the hood in a couple of weeks, when I did I HAD to go upstairs and grab the Hoover to vacuum the dust out of the engine compartment :D When I told my wife she just smiled and :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Mine has yet to be in the rain so the wheelwells are in pretty good shape. I will once a year spray them with the spray "glossy tire" stuff. I wipe out the engine compartment and under the headlights, the top of the wheel wells and the frame area next to the radiator. Can't forget the hinge area of the doors and body either.
I do polish underneath the rockers and the Tri Flo exhaust. I won't take the wheels off though, I gotta draw the line somewhere.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
how far do you go cleaning

when it comes to cleaning the vette,well love does some wild thing to a person.i start by hand washing the car complete,inside and out.wheels do come off to do inside of rims.this give me a chance to inspect all suspen.componets,ie ball joints ,any leaking of fluids,from any where.i clean wheel wells,and complete engine compartment.waxing if needed,but detail spray a must.all this take about four hours,and with the help of my son,we turn this in to some good quality time,and of course he love to ride in the vette to.:thumbsup: as allways,save the wave ken 1984

·
Registered
341 Posts
While doing an oil change last weekend I noticed the power steering fluid cooler had bent fins, I fixed them then took a tooth brush and cleaned between every fin. The next thing I did was clean everything back to the oil pan:lookinup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Every year I jack up my car a couple of feet in the air and clean the underneath :lookinup:

Last year there was some light rust on a few of the bolts, so I wire brushed them and put some zinc rich primer on them and topped it off with some silver paint, with a small paintbrush :laughing:

(Hey, where is the crazy smiley)?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bender said:
Every year I jack up my car a couple of feet in the air and clean the underneath :lookinup:

Last year there was some light rust on a few of the bolts, so I wire brushed them and put some zinc rich primer on them and topped it off with some silver paint, with a small paintbrush :laughing:

(Hey, where is the crazy smiley)?
I hate rust! That's half the reason why I own a vette! No door dings, no rust!

:partyon:

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
I clean it as perfect as time would allow.

But, given a whole day ... it'll look darn close to showroom-new.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There isn't a time I wash the car when I don't wash the wheel wells and insides of my Y2K wheels.

LOL, the neighbors really looked at me funny when I crawled under the car and washed the rear exhaust Y pipe with a brillo pad along with the lower control arms and borla tips hehe.

I always soap the door jambs as well, then blast 'em really well through the cracks. Makes the car look soo much nicer.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,415 Posts
ragvette said:

How far do you go?
About 50 feet to the garage.

After that I don't get insane. I have been pulling the wheels of every spring to give that a complete cleaning, along with the suspension parts. I'd recommend this to all C5 owners with polished wheels. It's the only way to really clean them. Clean the engine about once a year, Wash and vacuum when needed. The rest of the time I drive it like I stole it. After all a Corvette has two speeds. Wide open or dead stop.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Always clean the engine compartment, front and rear suspension and the inner part of the wheels. Don't remove the wheels tho, just reach through to clean inside. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My husband and I show both our Corvettes in judged "show & shines" almost every weekend during the summer here in New England so our two are never really dirty!! We spent Saturday afternoons cleaning them top to bottom, drive to the show on Sunday mornings, then spend another 4 hours cleaning them all over again!! That doesn't count going over them both all over again when we return home on Sunday evenings...with our trophies in hand!:laughing:

Friends call us sick...maybe we are, but our Corvettes sure look good!:partyon:

Elaine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts