Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question, but how hard can the Corvette C6 be driven before you damage it? Would a couple of high speed runs up and down the highway at 130 mph within minutes of each other be considered overdoing it? Assume that the car is well maintained and the fluids are at the correct levels. On track day everyone pops the hood and lets the car cool down between runs. Is that just for optimum performance? I am not saying I run my car at 130 mph at all ;) Just wondering.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If your not taking the car to the track I would think anything you are doing on the street would be well within the cars ability.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The car can handle everything short of pure stupidity(banging it off the redlline just for the sound:smack ). Don't worry about high speed runs or burnouts. Wheelhop is the only thing I know of that is a ready rear-end killer on C6's, but don't worry about hurting the engine-ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
565 Posts
:agree: The engine is as close to bullet proof as any you can buy. The tranny is too, although there is always a greater chance of doing something bad with a transmission than an engine. The suspension is world class, so are the brakes. Corvettes ate the competition like grapes in Showroom Stock racing--that's why they banned them. Nothing has changed. Have fun with it. It may look dainty--to me, anyway after driving Trans Ams, but it ain't. It's made for hi performance from the ground up. :smokin:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
I am not saying I run my car at 130 mph at all ;) Just wondering.
You shouldn't be saying you run your car at 130. You should be yelling that you hit at least 160!!!

Drive it and don't worry, if it breaks it will get fixed.

Jr.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
You won't do any damage at speed unless you either hit something or miss a shift. The cooling systems on these cars are sufficient to keep them running at high speed as long as you want. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that GM still runs their new models flat out on a high speed oval until they run out of fuel...refills them and repeats for a full 24 hours in final testing. There is also the repeated lapping of the most demanding circuit in the world on car suspensions... Nurburgring. This Mother is as tough a car as there is!:thumbsup:

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
Hi guys I have 2 questions with this, the last time Ive driven I shifted to 4th and stayed in it for a few seconds so i was doing ~130 then I slowed back down and my oil temp was 225ish on the highway, on a barren main street I floored first and part of second then was idleing at a light and the oil temp reading was 231, is this normal for a Z51 car? My coolant was around 210.

Oh also (sorry about stealing the thread but it has to do with driving hard) When taking highspeed turns (hitting .8-.9 on the gtech) my tires howl, am i wearing the edges from too much PSI? Im at 34 front and 32 rear cold. Felt really solid and my friend said I was planted (he was following), im just curious about the howling.

As for driving hard I try to get a 1 through 4 blast atleast once every outing, I see it as stretching the Car's legs.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Runnig Hard

Here is my video clip from the last track day. No problem with coolant temps but I had to watch my oil temps. I was close to Redline for 4 laps (approx. 9 miles) pushing the car hard. For this weekend I have set my shift light to 5500 to remind myself to mange Oil temps. On the street you would never be in third close to redline for this extended period of time.
Click here to watch Race-Final-Session

I think this will answer your question on high speed blasts. On the banking I was always reaching speeds of 140+ every lap and hit redline in 4th on one lap.

:cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

That's good to know. I like to keep my a4 in 2nd or 3rd and the rev's between 3 and 4k on the curves. I do have a Procharger on order. It's been 3 weeks???? I know the Procharger will definitely put more strain on the engine and drivetrain, but I've resigned to do the necessary upgrades as needed.

Has anyone seen the video of The Nurburghring. I got the DVD in the brochure when I bought the car. That's an insane video.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi guys I have 2 questions with this, the last time Ive driven I shifted to 4th and stayed in it for a few seconds so i was doing ~130 then I slowed back down and my oil temp was 225ish on the highway, on a barren main street I floored first and part of second then was idleing at a light and the oil temp reading was 231, is this normal for a Z51 car? My coolant was around 210.

Oh also (sorry about stealing the thread but it has to do with driving hard) When taking highspeed turns (hitting .8-.9 on the gtech) my tires howl, am i wearing the edges from too much PSI? Im at 34 front and 32 rear cold. Felt really solid and my friend said I was planted (he was following), im just curious about the howling.

As for driving hard I try to get a 1 through 4 blast atleast once every outing, I see it as stretching the Car's legs.
Those temps are fine after hard driving--so long as they come down when you get off it. If coolant is 194-195, my oil temp is < 200. I've seen it get to 220s in the summer when I have been running hard. I think anything below 250s is perfectly safe with synthetic oil. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i ran the piss out of a z51 c6 for 3 days at the track in las vegas. bone stock below 1k miles. no problems at all. drive mine lmost as hard before and zero problems. got procharger now and still....no problems! these things are built well. motor is strong....unless you get carried away with the boost. i am running 6 pounds right now with a d1

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Well...legally of course, I've had mine to 173mph once, 160mph+ a couple of times, have 21 drag races and many, many burnouts under it's belt and am looking for a road course nearby so I can test the handling. If you know how to drive it without, like was siad earlier, banging the rev limiter over and over or doing just plain stupid stuff, it'll hold up just fine...thats what it was build for.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It can be driven hard until it breaks :partyon:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wheel hop is the only sure killer for a stock car I'm aware of. GM spends a lot of time engineering safety margins in and making these cars bonehead proof, so much so that you can squeeze more performance safely out of nearly every car with only a tune. Popular quote: "drive it like you stole it!!":devil:

...Oh also (sorry about stealing the thread but it has to do with driving hard) When taking highspeed turns (hitting .8-.9 on the gtech) my tires howl, am i wearing the edges from too much PSI? Im at 34 front and 32 rear cold. Felt really solid and my friend said I was planted (he was following), im just curious about the howling.

I'd say that's too much pressure for optimal handling. I've found my supercars like 28-30 psi all around (cold) for best combo of handling and traction. Even less in the rears for best traction at the drag strip- the DC drag experts can give you the right setting for that. Why are your running 34/32psi??? Please don't say for gas mileage.:smack :cheers:

·
Registered
754 Posts
30psi front and back is the recommended setting. I am running ~30 front and ~29 (back) cold. I get some wheel squeal at anything above ~.75g but it seems to hold with just miminal slide up to ~.9g, then I notice the AH system kicking in (which I love). I typical drive with traction off and AH on (competitive driving mode). :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts