Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the rear end up in the air tonight to adjust the parking brake, because it isn't holding on an incline. After taking the wheels off, I noticed that I can barely turn the right rear rotor by hand with the e-brake all the way off and the tranny in neutral. I tried the left side, and it turns with a moderate amount of effort, but noticably different from the right side. So, how much effort should it take? I was planning to take the halfshafts out and replace the ujoints. Could they be the issue, or does it sound more like a bearing problem?

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
normal,

the u-joints are in a bind when jacked.

you could try putting another jack under the bearing support to bring the half shaft closer to parallel and try again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, Thanks for the tip. I was expecting them to spin fairly freely.

My understanding of adjusting the parking brake was to jack up the rear end, raise the e-brake up one or two clicks, and then adjust the brake until I can feel some drag when spinning the rotor. If it binds up when jacked off the ground, what is the best technique for adjusting the parking brake?

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you want to go to the trouble, unbolt the 4 bolts to the half shaft. Then you can get a real feel for the bearings and brake drag.:D

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
:rolling: :rolling: :crazy: :lookinup: The only purpose of these ebrakes is to pass some state inspection....so tighten hell outta them enough to hobble the car over to the station, pass it, then loosen the cable under there to prevent further burning the shoes....ie...little to no drag...

there simply is not enough leverage on those small a diameter/width shoes to stop/hold any 3400 lbs car....it's a .gov stupid thing anyway....so live with it....pass the inspection, re adjust as per necessary for operation, and wait till next year....

serious...BTDT many times.....:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I adjusted mine with help from others on the site and my shop manual. Basically loosen the tensioner nuts, turn the disc until the adjusting screw can be seen through the hole in the disc, insert screwdriver and tighten the screw until the disc won't move, and then back off 6-8 notches. Put wheels back on and pull the brake handle 13-14 notches (clicks) and tighten tensioner nuts. Mine was easy to adjust.

Again, from the 1981 shop manual and advice from others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts