Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering here but how hard would it be to put an LS1, LS6 or even the new LS2 engine in my 85 ?? how much do those things cost ? would the torque break my stock tranny in like a day ? what wouldi need . . :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
i think it would be lot cheaper to build/have built a engine for your car using your existing engine or another core
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
KingJoeJoe said:
Just wondering here but how hard would it be to put an LS1, LS6 or even the new LS2 engine in my 85 ?? how much do those things cost ? would the torque break my stock tranny in like a day ? what wouldi need . . :D
Hi there,
I'm not sure if you know this or not,but the C5 tranny is in the rear of the car bolted to a get-rag rear end/transaxle.There are conversions for this,but you would need a computer all sensors etc..Not to mention the new custom trans to bolt to the back of the LSx.TVcommercial has a good point,much cheaper to build what you have.But if you have the time and money,anything is possible.:buhbye:
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
I had to run-out before i finished my other post.You could always use a Camero LS1 and trans,and associated computers,but there are throttle cables and EGR tube,looks kinda messy in my opinion.The vette has no throttle cables,it's "fly-by-wire."Heres a picture of my engine compartment.Would look good in your 85:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
I believe it would take more than a 383 to do this,he needs about 125hp just to get even,but with heads and cam,kinda like yours,i would say yes.I wonder if a 383 can get up to 175mph,with his stock gearing.Anyone done it?Whats the fastest youv'e gone 84 grand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
i dont think the real issue is how fast you can go top end, but from red light to red light that it will hold its own...:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
I believe it would take more than a 383 to do this,he needs about 125hp just to get even,but with heads and cam,kinda like yours,i would say yes.I wonder if a 383 can get up to 175mph,with his stock gearing.Anyone done it?Whats the fastest youv'e gone 84 grand?
I have been over 140 several times....Remember Its not how fast it goes but its how fast it goes fast!;)
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Oh,i know,but i'm just thinking that to go from 14.8 (give or take a couple tenths)to 13.2 (same) will take more than just strokin it.Plus i think he wants it to be a little more exotic,but better bring some cash.I got to 145 out here a few times.Just getting into 4th gear.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
Oh,i know,but i'm just thinking that to go from 14.8 (give or take a couple tenths)to 13.2 (same) will take more than just strokin it.Plus i think he wants it to be a little more exotic,but better bring some cash.I got to 145 out here a few times.Just getting into 4th gear.:thumbsup:
I agree...he will have to upgrade the engine components...not just stroke it. Maybe he should get a zr-1 engine & do 180+!:surprised Then he can drive past c-5's doin 170!:stick: :D
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Like the one Tim Allen put in his Impalla?That was a cool ride,he drove right up to the red carpet with his family,don't need no stinkin limo.:laughing:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top