Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent 3 hours clay barring, polishing, and waxing the roof and hoop of my '03. :thud:

How long does it take the rest of you guys to repair your paint?

Not complaining since I got great results, just wore out
car>> :nuts: <<me

·
Registered
476 Posts
I clean limo's all day long..... you have any idea how disgusting a limo is after a night of all women partying? and no theres NOTHING sexy about it.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I clean limo's all day long..... you have any idea how disgusting a limo is after a night of all women partying? and no theres NOTHING sexy about it.
I believe that.

Just the mention of this brings to mind images of empty champagne bottles and used tampons

·
Registered
476 Posts
I believe that.

Just the mention of this brings to mind images of empty champagne bottles and used tampons
They break glasses which is fun to clean out of carpet, they trim their nails for some reason, snot rags, they LOVE to touch the windows which is a P.I.T.A to get perfect, wine everywhere, lip stick everywhere, vomit... disgusting.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

I used to own a detail shop, I know exatly what you mean.
You haven't lived until you pull food out from under a seat thats been there so long it has hair and mold growing on it.

Restoring the paint with clay and buffing varies with the
severity of the damage. 3 hours isn't bad. Take your time and do it right. There are no shortcuts. You don't have to do it all at once. Do the hood, wax the hood with a protective coat and move on to the next panel.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used to own a detail shop, I know exatly what you mean.
You haven't lived until you pull food out from under a seat thats been there so long it has hair and mold growing on it.
Our limo's arent bad because the second they come back i clean them. We sometimes clean other company's vehicles as well as clients and you'd think they dont have pride in their vehicles.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK enough derailment on what malfeasance occurs in limos.

I want to know how long it takes people around here to get that mirror finish like Junkman.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
OK enough derailment on what malfeasance occurs in limos.

I want to know how long it takes people around here to get that mirror finish like Junkman.
I clayed the Vette for 3 DAYS before I was ready to start working on the paint. My ball and socket joints hurt for the next 3 months. I thought the pain would never go away. If you can do my routine in one day, there's a big "S" on your chest. It would take me weeks to restore a really jacked up paint job.

Trust me, I know your pain, but the end result is worth it. The key is, you have to be using quality product or you're just wasting your time.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I would say 3 hours for a top and hood is about right. You could put 30 hours in it and probably improve even more, but at some point, you hit a point of diminishing returns. You probably got 95% of the improvement you could ever get with a 3 hour session.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I clayed the Vette for 3 DAYS before I was ready to start working on the paint. My ball and socket joints hurt for the next 3 months. I thought the pain would never go away. If you can do my routine in one day, there's a big "S" on your chest. It would take me weeks to restore a really jacked up paint job.

Trust me, I know your pain, but the end result is worth it. The key is, you have to be using quality product or you're just wasting your time.
I'm using Adam's products:thumbsup: If the wind lets up a little the diver's side of the hood is my bitch today.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say 3 hours for a top and hood is about right. You could put 30 hours in it and probably improve even more, but at some point, you hit a point of diminishing returns. You probably got 95% of the improvement you could ever get with a 3 hour session.
Dude, I wish I had gotten my hood done in that time. I'm figuring 5-7 hours to get it done.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
That's why I scrub so hard when the contamination is bad. I don't want to do it twice. :thud:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...clay bars....??????

...I thought that was where Gumbie & Pokey got drunk.....:laughing:
So you're the one messing up Car Dude's limos:rolleyes:

Drivers side of the hood is done. Another 2.5 hours down:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Junkman, you are the Zohan of car paint. You help us make it silky smooth:thumbsup:

I am at 12 hours in an 7 of 16 panels done on the car.

That is claying, swirl reduction, polishing, and waxing each panel.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
How about progress pics? By the time you're finished, the first panels you did will be oxidized. :laughing:

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
So many variables at work it can take anywhere from 8-20 or more hours for me to correct a car.

The severity of the swirls, the technique you use, the ambient temps, the humidity (both have impact on how the product performs) and your overall efficiency.

I've done a lot of '6 sigma' on my process (something I learned in a former life as a distribution center manager) where I worked on reducing how many times I'd have to get up and walk to a cabinet, or look for supplies, etc.

Basically making the process EFFICIENT b/c at one point I did this stuff for money and the faster I could turn a car over the more profitable it became.

Also keep in mind the more you do it generally the faster you get.... most people take days to get perfect their first time out, but after a few times thru you'll find you're much faster than you were originally.

Also, I agree... WHERES THE PICS?!?!?! :D

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So many variables at work it can take anywhere from 8-20 or more hours for me to correct a car.

The severity of the swirls, the technique you use, the ambient temps, the humidity (both have impact on how the product performs) and your overall efficiency.

I've done a lot of '6 sigma' on my process (something I learned in a former life as a distribution center manager) where I worked on reducing how many times I'd have to get up and walk to a cabinet, or look for supplies, etc.

Basically making the process EFFICIENT b/c at one point I did this stuff for money and the faster I could turn a car over the more profitable it became.

Also keep in mind the more you do it generally the faster you get.... most people take days to get perfect their first time out, but after a few times thru you'll find you're much faster than you were originally.

Also, I agree... WHERES THE PICS?!?!?! :D
I'll get pics on the next panel.

Also to be fair to me the I started with the largest and most obvious panels(hood & roof) them worked to the most intricate (front and rear fascia).

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Junkman, you are the Zohan of car paint. You help us make it silky smooth:thumbsup:

I am at 12 hours in an 7 of 16 panels done on the car.

That is claying, swirl reduction, polishing, and waxing each panel.
Sounds like you work at my expectation level. Remember this, I have came behind a lot of 1 or 2 day jobs and worked a section of their paint. My spot made their spot look like they never started, however, they were very pleased with their work before I did my thing. Once they saw what I did, they realized just how good their paint could look. That gave them a benchmark to shoot for. Here's a perfect example of a guy who's paint looked nice at first glance, but I knew that I could improve it. He was a very satisfied Zaino user but probably was not skilled at using their product line. It takes some know how.

Before:

After:

I don't know what those specs where but they were jacking up his shine. I didn't notice them until I took the pictures. They were part of the "something" that I saw in his paint that needed improving. Whatever it was, claying and polishing removed it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts