Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how many different Body Control Modules (BCM) there are for an '05 Corvette?

According to my dealer I cannot add XM radio (via an XM module from an '06 Corvette) to a 1SB equipped car if it did not come from the factory with it installed as the BCM is different for each possible configuration. For instance, according to them there is a different BCM for (1) cars with XM; (2) cars without XM; (3) cars with Nav; (4) cars without Nav; (5) cars with XM and Nav; (6) cars without XM or Nav, ad nauseum. This would be further complicated by the differences between Coupes and Convertibles (power top yes/no, etc.) and between different trim levels (base / 1SA /1SB).

If I believe this rationale, there must be 35+ different BCMs for the '05 Corvette alone which could help explain the problems that Delphi and GM are facing. On the other hand, it could also be more dealership BS when they don't know and don't want to handle the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Somehow (he doesn't know what he did), the mechanic at the local dealership, got the Bose Head Unit to recognized the GM (Delphi made) XM module but it showed as "XM Locked" on the display. I unplugged the module and immediately reconnected it and it began to play.

After I shut off the engine and restarted the car the radio then displayed only channels 1 & 2 which is reasonable as I had not activated the radio with XM itself. A quick phone call to them and that problem was corrected. The only thing I gained, but a great improvement, is the ability to turn off the radio when I shut the car down. I had inadvertantly left the Roady II in the console plugged into the cigarette lighter jack and run the battery down a couple of times.

Interesting to note however, is that according to the mechanic, the service writer, and, at least according to them, the GM Technical Assistance Center (T.A.C.) that you "cannot add" XM to car if it was not orginally built with it. They even went so far as to tell me that it was a different BCM for each type of car. . .not knowing that I would check to find there is one and only one BCM for a 2005 Corvette (part #H15216908).:laughing:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts