Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petraeus: Koran burning plan will endanger US troops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11209738

Gen David Petraeus said the action could cause problems "not just in Kabul, but everywhere in the world".
Pastor Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach Center, plans to put copies of the holy book in a bonfire to mark this week's anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
There have already been protests in Afghanistan and Indonesia.

“Start Quote
We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam”
The US embassy in Kabul issued a statement condemning the plans by the non-denominational church in Gainesville, Florida.
"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen Petraeus said in a statement to US media. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems.

"Not just here, but everywhere in the world, we are engaged with the Islamic community," added Gen Petraeus, who heads a 150,000-strong Nato force against a Taliban-led insurgency.
Lt Gen William Caldwell, the commander of the Nato training mission in Afghanistan, told CNN: "It's their holy book, so when somebody says that they're going to destroy that and cause a desecration to something that's very sacred to them, it's already stirred up a lot of discussion and concern amongst the people."

In Kabul on Monday, about 500 protesters chanted "long live Islam" and "death to America" as they set fire to an effigy of Mr Jones.

The controversy comes at a time of already heated debate in the US over a proposal to build a mosque and Islamic cultural centre two streets from Ground Zero, site of the 9/11 attacks, in New York.

In a statement to the Wall Street Journal, Mr Jones acknowledged Gen Petraeus's concerns, but added: "We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam. We will no longer be controlled and dominated by their fears and threats."

End Quote

The planned protest by Mr Jones's previously little-known 50-member Florida church, whose website labels Islam "violent and oppressive", has prompted protests elsewhere, too.
Thousands of mostly Muslim demonstrators rallied around Indonesia last weekend.

Claims that US soldiers have desecrated the Koran in both Afghanistan and Iraq have caused bloodshed in the past.
There were deadly protests in Afghanistan in 2008, when it emerged that a US soldier deployed to Iraq riddled a copy of the holy book with bullets.

And further lives were lost in Afghan riots in 2005 when Newsweek magazine printed a story alleging that US interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had flushed a copy of the Koran down a toilet.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Personally, I find the symbolic buring of anything to be a useless act that only leads to division. This 50 member church only seems to be carrying this act through for the single purpose of attention whoring.

On the ohter hand, if the radical or other islamic community(I can't paint the reacting muslims as I don't really know them) didn't completely wig out at the desicration of a Koran the there would be little impact of such an act.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Personally, I find the symbolic buring of anything to be a useless act that only leads to division. This 50 member church only seems to be carrying this act through for the single purpose of attention whoring.

On the ohter hand, if the radical or other islamic community(I can't paint the reacting muslims as I don't really know them) didn't completely wig out at the desicration of a Koran the there would be little impact of such an act.
I agree 100%. This preacher is an idiot, and doesn't represent any subgroup of the Republican Party or the Conservative movement. It's usually the left that is more into symbolism over substance. This is meaningless symbolism that doesn't represent the feelings of hardly anyone outside that group of 50.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I agree 100%. This preacher is an idiot, and doesn't represent any subgroup of the Republican Party or the Conservative movement.

It's usually the left that is more into symbolism over substance.

This is meaningless symbolism that doesn't represent the feelings of hardly anyone outside that group of 50.
Does *God told me to invade Iraq* come to mind ?

:crazy:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you agree … I single preacher or group of preachers don’t represent or speak for an entire population or segment of the population. :rolleyes:

I’ve been trying to tell people this for a long time. I’m glad we all can finally agree on this single point. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
So you agree … I single preacher or group of preachers don’t represent or speak for an entire population or segment of the population. :rolleyes:

I’ve been trying to tell people this for a long time. I’m glad we all can finally agree on this single point. :thumbsup:

I've never once heard anything or anybody right-wing ... ever .. again never ... disavow or reject right-wing wackos ...

Never.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never once heard anything or anybody right-wing ... ever .. again never ... disavow or reject right-wing wackos ...

Never.

And you won’t, ever, not as long as they can get Votes. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts

Sounds like you think you have discovered fire or something. No, 1 single preacher or group of preachers doesn't speak for anyone but themselves. Same holds true for preachers like Sharpton, Jackson, Wright, etc. They each have a group of followers, but it is generally much smaller than they act like it is. I find it interesting that the left wants to saddle the Conservative movement with every whacked out fundamentalist preacher out there, but then we are not supposed to tag the liberal movement with all of the hate and bile coming from the likes of Jeremiah Wright and his like-minded whackos.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts

Never.

Oh, and the left is constantly disavowing the words of Jeremiah Wright, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan, etc. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and the left is constantly disavowing the words of Jeremiah Wright, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan, etc. :laughing:
I remember plenty, including me, who said they speak for themselves and not the masses.

But what are the Republicans saying ……………………… NOTHING!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you think you have discovered fire or something. No, 1 single preacher or group of preachers doesn't speak for anyone but themselves. Same holds true for preachers like Sharpton, Jackson, Wright, etc. They each have a group of followers, but it is generally much smaller than they act like it is. I find it interesting that the left wants to saddle the Conservative movement with every whacked out fundamentalist preacher out there, but then we are not supposed to tag the liberal movement with all of the hate and bile coming from the likes of Jeremiah Wright and his like-minded whackos.
Why? Are you smelling smoke? ;)

I say and have always said, the Preachers you outlined “don’t speak for everyone”.

Yes or NO …. Do you agree or NOT!

Bottom line …. ;)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I remember plenty, including me, who said they speak for themselves and not the masses.

But what are the Republicans saying ……………………… NOTHING!
Some things are too small and insignificant to even comment on. This is one of them. Why should 100 million Republicans get on their knees and humbly apologize for one piss-ant publicity seeking preacher who doesn't even represent their point of view? This is a silly notion.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some things are too small and insignificant to even comment on. This is one of them. Why should 100 million Republicans get on their knees and humbly apologize for one piss-ant publicity seeking preacher who doesn't even represent their point of view? This is a silly notion.
:surprised

Our American Troops and our General could use your support … is this too insignificant for you?

If you want an example of Silly, just look at what’s been going on in Politics for the last 19 months.

This serious … and can affect American Lives … and now Con choose to keep their mouths shut because this is silly and insignificant? :lookinup:

I guarantee you if Rev Wright, Jackson or Sharpton said anything … it would significant enough for you to be outraged. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I don't even recall anyone on the left disavowing the 911 terrorist, the Ft. Hood terrorist, the Discovery channel terrorist, ALF, etc. etc.

In fact, I found it quite telling when an MSNBC commentator was almost standing up for the Discovery channel terrorist.. :crazy: Then I remembered it was MSNBC...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't even recall anyone on the left disavowing the 911 terrorist, the Ft. Hood terrorist, the Discovery channel terrorist, ALF, etc. etc.

In fact, I found it quite telling when an MSNBC commentator was almost standing up for the Discovery channel terrorist.. :crazy: Then I remembered it was MSNBC...
FOCUS on the Thread - Stupid enough for a United States General to speak out in support of American Troop Lives … how about you, where do you stand? :thumbsup: or :down:

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
FOCUS on the Thread - Stupid enough for a United States General to speak out in support of American Troop Lives … how about you, where do you stand? :thumbsup: or :down:
He thinks because he has some of the resident Libs on ignore mode he can hijack for the purpose of *free speech to hate* ... goes to right-wing wacko ...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Never.

I , C5sarge condemn this act of stupidity! I also agree this nut job need to STFU. Why tell me would the news networks be covering this?? Answer that.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Getting back to your original quetion - I don't buy your assertion that the right is not disavowing the guy. Are there Republican leaders endorsing him? Have microphones been put in John Boehners face and he said he thinks this guy is right on? There is a reason we don't negotiate with terrorists - because we don't want to encourage more of the same. If we give more than 15 seconds of fame to every nut job out there, we are just asking for more of the same. Just because you think 100 million conservatives should jump up and down over this guy doesn't mean you are right. If anyone asks, I'm sure 99.999% will say they disagree with him. But why increase his significance because the left demands that the right jump?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I , C5sarge condemn this act of stupidity! I also agree this nut job need to STFU. Why tell me would the news networks be covering this?? Answer that.
Easy ... right-wing hate mongers make the ... well, right-wing look exactly as they are ... who in their right mind would miss this ... Faux ?

:devil:

1 - 20 of 132 Posts