Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many guys still have several local car buddies
just curious , as to how many guys currently have at least two local freinds with a similar interest in cars, that they can call up and reasonably expect to have them show up when they want help working on their car and need that help to do something.
now when I was younger, and single, Id say that was hardly an issue, cars and engine builds and racing were nearly a religion at times, I spent may a day helping build cars in freinds shops and they spent lots of late nights in my shop, but as guys get older and have families and wives, and kids and grand kids, getting the spare time and money to work on cars usually needs to be planed for ahead of time.
Ive still got several 100% gear head buddies, that I depend on and several recent converts to the hobby, but time and disposable cash seem to be limited recently.
now I still have guys wanting me to work on their cars almost daily, and Ive certainly got far more skills, tools,knowledge, etc. but the days of a couple guys just deciding at the moment over a couple beers that they can or will go pull and rebuild an engine, or drive over to the local salvage yards and buy hundreds of dollars worth of parts without needing to discuss it with their wives seem to be a thing of the past.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have some local car buddies but it seems not many of them are around when I need them just when they need me.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have at least 6 in KC and the surrounding area. And I would say 60 or more that I can call for advice. Life is grand and most of then are DC members. The hobby is alive and well in my part of the world Grumpy...:D

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
After the loss of my best friend Wizard in Nov, 2009. I was down to a bare minimum, of just me and my Father. We would jockey back and forth across town helping each other with our Vettes and our daily drivers. Then I meet my neighbor Chris, vette owner, and he is mechanical enough to do all of his own work on his car as well. To my surprise Chris has lived just a few doors down for the last 5 years :WTF where have I been, I need to get out of the garage more :laughing:. It makes it nice having a Vette buddy right down the street. We will use each other as an excuse to get out of the house "Honey, Chris needs a hand....I will be back in a few minutes." grab a drink, head down the street and never touch a car, just sit around and talk :devil:. It is nice to have someone right down the street that is willing and able to help. So in line with the thread, "several local buddies" no, but a couple very experienced people that can help do almost anything.

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some local car buddies but it seems not many of them are around when I need them just when they need me.

unfortunately that attitude is far more common than it should be,
Ive always tried to make a point out of helping other guys with their projects, but its only a few guys that will return the effort expended, on their car, when you want some help or only someone to bounce ideas off of on your projects.
Ive build dozens of engines (at my cost, in parts and free labor) for close freinds, and many dozens more at very low profit margins, sometimes just to see the results and power they produced ,sometimes just to see if you can exceed 500 or 600 hp on a limited budget, and sometimes just to see the expression on the cars owners face when a car, that could barely spin the tires can now leave long smokey burn-out at will) but only a couple guys are likely to come over if I were to call up and request help with some project, so just realize that many guys won,t feel obligated to return the time and effort expended on their cars on yours and look at it as a learning experience, to some extent and pick your friends carefully, and you better enjoy working for lunch,beer, and conversation

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2709

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2834

·
Registered
842 Posts
I noticed when I quit drinking & took out my beer keg a lot of people quit coming around not so much for free work on their cars but for football games & nascar races I would always have 5-10 people over now I watch them alone :laughing:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
My local car buddy lives with me (my Husband.):D:laughing:

I know a bunch of guys in my area (all Corvette owners) that would come help me if I needed it. Course because I'm a female they would probably feel obligated too.:laughing::nuts:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
You have an advantage on the rest of us REDHTC6GIRL, all you have to do is wear a low cut shirt and lean over the fender and you will have help running out your ears...:D

J/K girl...

No I never expect to to be repaid for any thing except the cost of the parts if I help some one. Thats what friends are for...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
You have an advantage on the rest of us REDHTC6GIRL, all you have to do is wear a low cut shirt and lean over the fender and you will have help running out your ears...:D

J/K girl...

No I never expect to to be repaid for any thing except the cost of the parts if I help some one. Thats what friends are for...:thumbsup:
You could always try wearing a low cut shirt and see what happens.:devil:

:agree: I'd never ask a friend for $$$ if I helped him or her out but they'd probably never ask me in the first place.:laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
You could always try wearing a low cut shirt and see what happens.:devil:

:agree: I'd never ask a friend for $$$ if I helped him or her out but they'd probably never ask me in the first place.:laughing:

I'm always walking around with my shirt unbuttoned and the only thing I get is asked to please button it...:rolling::rolling::rolling:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
My next door neighbor is a car guy also.
Hes got a 57 Chevy. We reciprocate for
free. We help each other with all the projects,
someone else to bounce ideas off, also to bs
with during the work.
When I was younger and the kids were still
home, we used to work on the cars together.
Kids all married, help gone.
The one I really miss is my oldest son, he is a
car guy. He lives 100 miles away so its hard
to help each other. I'm working on the Vettte
and hes working on a 69 Firebird and a 73
Challanger.
No matter what, help or not, the projects
always get done. The main thing is, never do
too many projects without driving the car in
between because thats when you start to
loose interest and motivation. The need to
peddle the little bugger is what keeps you going.

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will point out that one route is to join several local car clubs, youll usually find that about 60%-70% of the guys in any car club are far more interested in, driving, drinking, eating and attending social functions rather than working on cars but that still usually leaves you easily 30% or more of the guys that are true car nuts that enjoy working on cars and once you weed out the guys that don,t know how too,or care too work on cars finding a few real gear heads should solve your occasional help issues, provided your willing to also help the other guys in exchange, and your bound to learn a few things during the process

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2709

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2834

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=633&p=847&hilit=+clubs#p847

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=321&p=389&hilit=+clubs#p389

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm from Chicago so most of my car friends are there.
Most of the time is was me doing the work while they watched. I'd have them do the dirty work if it was their car.

These days, I rely on internet clubs like chevyavalancheclub to have get-togethers where guys are doing mods.

·
Super Moderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
while were on the subject, anyone in the west palm beach area got any projects under way?
I may have a few free hours to help out, or know someone who does, and most of us gear heads could always used more contacts in this hobby:thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
I have one that lives 2 minutes away. I have another that lives over an hour away. That makes two :spanked:

None of my friends are even remotely into cars. It's almost impossible to even talk about cars with anyone I know:down:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think I need to move to Florida. :)
I have had trouble finding any knowledgable people to work on my car. Most of the people in my club are driving c5 and c6s.
All they need to do is wash and wax every once in a while. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts