Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I understand all about how the Nav works as I have had it on a number of my Daily driver cars.That said, I never go anywhere in the Vette that I need Nav help, so I can't imagine ever needing it for directions in the Vette. It would simply be for the looks and playtoy factor if i got it. On a car like the ZO6, is the 1800 skins worth getting it for that reason? I guess the important thing is whether the dash looks that much better with it than without it. It's ordered now without, but I may heve a day or two to change it, but it is going in soon. What do you all think?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Poor man's nav

I went with this poor man's nav system. I use it in both my Avalanche and my Corvette. However, it won't fit well this way in the Corvette without obstructing the stereo (when travelling alone, I just put the laptop on the passenger seat, when I'm with my wife, I put it on the center storage bin facing my wife). I only use this setup when I'm travelling on vacations. I use Delorme's StreetAtlas with EarthMate USB based GPS. This setup works surprisingly well and has the advantage of allowing review of future and past routes from the comfort of home or hotel room - outside of the car.

·
Banned
176 Posts
I went with this poor man's nav system. I use it in both my Avalanche and my Corvette. However, it won't fit well this way in the Corvette without obstructing the stereo (when travelling alone, I just put the laptop on the passenger seat, when I'm with my wife, I put it on the center storage bin facing my wife). I only use this setup when I'm travelling on vacations. I use Delorme's StreetAtlas with EarthMate USB based GPS. This setup works surprisingly well and has the advantage of allowing review of future and past routes from the comfort of home or hotel room - outside of the car.
One word comes to mind.... GARMIN!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Get it! Worth every penny!If you don't you'll wish you did. If you do, you'll get it back when you resell. You can't lose.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I gave it a pass. Couldn't justify the exorbitant cost for a third-rate system just to "fill that space in the dash". While the Bose 6-CD system is no great shakes either, at least its usable - and my little NUVI 350 gets me anywhere I want to go for about $300, and it's portable besides.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have it in mine. But I get lost going around the block. And I don't drive main hiways or interstates unless I just have to. Its not the best system in the world, but it does work very good for what it is. And I like the radio and CD display that is on it. Touch screen controlls are a lot easyer to use than knobs and buttons. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got it in mine...
Don't use it that often, but it has come in handy.
What I really like is the more high tech look it gives the dash
and the touch screen is a lot more fun than knobs.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
You said it yourself - the dash looks much better with it. When you first turn it on and when the system is off, the vette flags fill the screen - looks nice. Used my nav coming home from BG and a couple of times to find restaurants locally - definately helpful for that. Oh, and once to find a wedding reception. Number of time used hasn't amortized the cost well at this point, but the look alone does. - IMO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I understand all about how the Nav works as I have had it on a number of my Daily driver cars.That said, I never go anywhere in the Vette that I need Nav help, so I can't imagine ever needing it for directions in the Vette. It would simply be for the looks and playtoy factor if i got it. On a car like the ZO6, is the 1800 skins worth getting it for that reason? I guess the important thing is whether the dash looks that much better with it than without it. It's ordered now without, but I may heve a day or two to change it, but it is going in soon. What do you all think?
Get it. Well worth it: looks of interior, XM radio, estimated time of arrival (good even if you know the area), better interface for MP3 play from CD.
:cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
good speed, good roads and Nav

I have the nav in my new vette. I use it from time to time. I especially use it when I travel back and forth from MN to AZ. I don't like to use the freeway system. The last rip I blasted straight east out of Phoenix and wound my way up tp Taos, NM.. This trip I posted some pretty wild speeds thru the mountains of AZ and NM. It is nice to have the nav to see where you are going.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not a ZO6 owner but I do have the 3LT with the nav on my 07 coupe

Before I ordered my car, I labored with should I get the roof package or should I get the navigation system. It was a difficult choice and since the prices were similar I knew I would only get one or the other. After I thought OK the roofs just look cool, the nav system may keep me from getting lost and actually has a function it was a no brainer.

Low and behold last week I drove to Orlando, the system took me straight to the hotel (from my garage to the front door) and then straight to the Convention Center (about 10 minutes away) I was going to for a conference. It replies with voice prompts (female) and you never really have to look at the screen but the graphical information is very helpful (also shows up on your HUD). I found the system to be very accurate during the trip (even found the closet ATM - twice, the mall, and a Shell gas station).

You imput where and what you want and it will take you there also you can look up points of interest information such as a resturant and the page will list the address and the phone number so you can call ahead and book a table (kinda like the phonebook)

Go for it you wont be dissappointed:thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You talked me into it. Didn't take much. I managed to get the order changed this afternoon. Looking at a mid August delivery.I guess if you eat the horse, you shouldn't choke on the tail...;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The GM Nav doesn't compare to the Garmin 2720 that I have. Although I agree the in dash look is preferable to the wired Garmin, the GM is way over priced. Hence I bought my Z without it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Have it in both the C6 coupe and the Z. I use it regularly in both, "just give me your address" is typically how i get directions, also accepts phone numbers. On the road trip we took this summer it was great.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Although I usually know where I'm going, it does come in Handy. I always buy my cars loaded to the hilt. Makes your car more desirable to a wide audience at the time you want to sell, IMHO.

I also have NAVI in my E63 AMG Benz.

OH, almost forgot that the ONSTAR is a great feature. The Big Brother" aspect is BS , IMHO.:surprised

·
Banned
118 Posts
I agree ,the GM system is a piece of third rate garbage compared to what's out there now. I even like the laptop idea better. :crazy:

The Pioneer Avic D3 is a grand now! I have it in my truck and you can get the ipod connector, play MP3's, XM, backup camera and everything else. Why would you pay more for the GM tird?

I will put the D3 in my coupe when it arrives as well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I got it in mine. It was worth it in my opinion. What's $1800 out of $72,000 anyway. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You talked me into it. Didn't take much. I managed to get the order changed this afternoon. Looking at a mid August delivery.I guess if you eat the horse, you shouldn't choke on the tail...;)
Congrats. I think you will like it, however I've seen posts on the Pioneer aftermarket NAV/DVD/Rear Camera/IPOD Interface/Bluetooth model that has great lines and fits well into the C6 dash stack. I think for the upgrade, you can get that system as well. Just a thought....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts