Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you gentlemen help other car owners..
How many of you can do basic maintenance if the cars dash shows a indicator light,
or starts making a "NOISE, or ACTING ODD?" how many of you guys work on the cars they own,
and have the basic tools and knowledge to do that ?
If you own a car, a few really basic tools like a floor jack, Jack stands,
a drill press,screw drivers,pliers, basic wrenches ,ratchets sockets,and a multi meter,
vacuum gauge, allen keys an assortment of hammers clamps a drop light, etc.
, should be in every guys garage.
I honestly am rather amazed at the number of people I know that don,t have the basic skills,
and knowledge required to work on a car and do basic maintenance like a tune-up,
brake job or pull codes on the newer cars that have computer controls.
one of the guys I know in my neighbor hood seems too be amazed that old geezers LIKE I AM,
can not only do a brake job, and change spark plugs but that if a service engine light comes on,
I'm not on the phone trying desperately to scheduled a visit to the local dealership.
Now theres lots of things I can,t easily do ,
due to a lack of the correct tools, like easily dismount and remount and balance tires,
but he thinks its bordering on black magic if I can use a code scanner and multi meter,
to locate a defective sensor.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
I think you can expand that to home repairs, including appliances as well.

I do a lot but that is out of necessity since my check book won't allow me to hire an electrician, plumber, carpenter, mechanic, appliance mechanice, or landscaper.

The problem is getting older and knowing how to do many things that your body won't allow anymore. So who is better of, us with worn out bodies or the guy who pays for everything. Then of course is the big question, do they do what you pay for?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used to for friends and family I moved away so now they can only call and ask questions about what someone told them.

46" top and bottom toolbox full, built a cart to hold an old craftsman box/tank of argon and 220 welder. Have an mt2500
Snap on scanner good for vehicles up to 03. I have done some work on house earlier in life, learned computers and now have 6 laptop and 2 desktops randomly around my house for different things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I help people all the time . I have a good assortment of tools and a garage .

I let them work on their cars , dune buggies , ATV's , Motorcycles , ect. I supervise !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts