Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Liftin' the fronts
2,261 Posts
Yup, I built mine for the fun of it. It's not 100% correct but it looks right and drives great. right now I'm sanding it down for a new coat of paint ( drywall damage ) There is nothing like a C-1 with Dual fours and a four speed. Bob

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think anyone that buys one of the older Vettes has got to do it for the love.

The older cars need a lot of TLC and you can't take it to the shop for everything, you need to get your hands dirty once in a while.

:thumbsup:

:D :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yup, we've restored a few cars over the years including several Vettes. On our experience with the Vettes, we were lucky enough with the first one (66 Big Block Coupe) to find a literally all original, high option car so we didn't have to chase down a lot of incorrect parts other than the battery, tires, exhaust and starter. That can be a frustrating experience but there are many sources out there now for most everything.

The paint was also in remarkable condition other than many years of small chips and some fading. I can't remember just how many hours were spent in filling, sanding, compounding and polishing the chips and paint but my fingerprints were almost gone by the time it was finished.

On this one we didn't remove the body but rebuilt the suspension, cleaned and repainted the underside, etc. as I didn't want to disturb anything and the frame was in excellent shape. We did rebuild the engine though which was a good thing as we found two broken rings and one main bearing bolt broken!

The car was lucky enough to receive a Top Flight at it's first NCRS show and a 99% score at it's second show. It was great to see the results of all the work confirmed and I think we enjoyed working on it as much as driving it.

Restoration, if done with the right research and care, can be a lot of fun.

Rich Lagasse

·
Registered
71 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Rich, any pics of that car?
Patrick,

We do have a picture of the car on the fourth page of our web site, along with other Vettes that have found new homes. This is from a scanned photograph as it was taken before the "digital age". :laughing: The description under the picture has the details on the car. Here is the link to the page: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/index4.shtml

It was a great car and we really enjoyed the restoration and NCRS shows we attended with it. We didn't realize what we had until we went to the first show even though I had an NCRS judge look at it before we bought it. Since it was our first Vette I knew that we didn't know enough at that time to make sure it was as advertized. We were fortunate to find something like this on our first venture into the hobby. The new owner has also enjoyed the Top Flights he has earned with it and built a nice garage to house it. It's nice to know it has a good home and someone who can appreciate it.

Rich Lagasse

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re:

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting a '59 together right now- I know it's going to take some time, but I just completed a '66 Chevelle, and am planning on taking what I learned from that and applying it to the '59. You can read about how the project is going here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jbiii/project_59.htm

Wish me luck, and if you have any parts lying around, please shoot me an email at [email protected]

CHEV66JB

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Re: Re:

CHEV66JB said:
Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting a '59 together right now- I know it's going to take some time, but I just completed a '66 Chevelle, and am planning on taking what I learned from that and applying it to the '59. You can read about how the project is going here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jbiii/project_59.htm

Wish me luck, and if you have any parts lying around, please shoot me an email at [email protected]

CHEV66JB
I looked at your site You have quite a project on your hands good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re:

CHEV66JB said:
I'm always willing to share my progress with those interested!

Regards,

CHEV66JB
Well, now you've peeked my interest. Start a new thread and tell us about it....:D

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I have always wanted to restore an 67 but just don’t have the money. And haven’t been able to fine one in need. I bet you appreciate it a lot more then if you just drop some money on a good one. Its good to see them look great again. But your just making it harder for me to find one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i will let you all know in about 2 years:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts