Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the trans fluid using Mobil 1 sythed. and bought 6 quarts thinking that it would problably take 5 or so quarts but it only took like 2.5 to 3 quarts. I just pulled the oil drain on the side of the trans then took the pan out and cleaned everything, replaced the filter and gasket then pumped the oil into it until it was dripping back out of the oil fill hole. Only took about 3 quarts is this right? Heated it up and rechecked it again then drove the car up some hills and it shifts perfect like always with no hesitation and it definatly doesn't feel mushy shifting!
Whats up guys?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
43,424 Posts
The GM spec for draining and refilling a C5 auto trans is 4.7L or 5 quarts. Are you sure it was completey drained?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the fluid was hot and it dripped and dripped until no more came out with the oil pan completely off. Is there another way to make more fluid come out? The old fluid that came out was about the same as I put in, 3 quarts. Yes your right GM does say that 5 quarts but they also say change it at 100K and I'd never run it that long without a change even under normal driving. Well pretty normal!! Anyone change there trans oil lately and remember how much you put in?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a fill hole that is higher than the drain hole?

I know there is on the manuals but what about the auto trannys on the C5? The drain hole is on the drivers side right? Is there a fill hole higher up? I'll kick my own ass if there is because I used the drain hole to fill the tranny back up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Simply draining the transmission only gets about half of the fluid. To completely replace all fluid requires a power flush (remove a cooling line as a drain, pump in new fluid until it comes out the cooling line, engine running, transmission in gear). There is no drain hole for the transmission. The hole on the side is a fill hole.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.