Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't play with tire pressure really. I have it at 32 psi and call it a day.

But, I know autocross and road race folks are fanatical about it, down to 1 psi.

Does it really make that much of a difference for spirited street & back road driving? I have the front/rear even at 32....

·
Registered
990 Posts
just checked mine today and they were at 26 all around. Went down to the Ford dealership ( at the end of the street ) and borrowed their air hose to put them up to 32. BTW, sticker on the door says 30 unless racing then go to 36 and go back to 30 after race.

mine were cold.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I can't feel the difference in a single pound but +/- 3 is when I start to notice.

Pat, is that 32 psi cold or warm?

I put mine at 31 cold. That way when they are warmed up they should be close to 35. That for me is a happy medium. I usaully don't go lower than 29 cold b/c the ride is really loose w/ until the tire warms up. Over 35 warm in the rear and my traction starts to diminish.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
not much different with run-flats.my old Kuhmos hooked the best at 26 psi,not a huge difference,but a little.a C5 recently totaled at our track,the story is his his tire pressure was way to low,and at the top end,the tire came(rolled) right off the rim.:surprised

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
The Federal Law requires a minimum of 26 or 27. That's why them Firestones were shredding b/c dealers were dropping the pressures below minimum to make for a softer ride. Can anyone confirm this?

When I bought my van the tire pressures were set at 27 psi and I left them like that until I wore them out in 17k miles. Now I have the same pressures with that as I do w/ the vette.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Every 10 deg difference in air temp can make a 1 psi difference
direct sunlight can change tire pressure
set you tires to 30 psi for handeling, 36 psi for better MPG.
at 28 psi it starts getting harder to recover from a skid
I Might be wrong... But it sounds good...:laughing:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mr. Smith, is air from Ford compatable with GM products?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
JCswm said:
Every 10 deg difference in air temp can make a 1 psi difference
direct sunlight can change tire pressure
set you tires to 30 psi for handeling, 36 psi for better MPG.
at 28 psi it starts getting harder to recover from a skid
I Might be wrong... But it sounds good...:laughing:
:agree:

·
Registered
990 Posts
fx gs said:
Mr. Smith, is air from Ford compatable with GM products?

Good question.....they were going to let me use the blue hose and then changed it to the red hose. Told me the blue one wasn't long enough but maybe it was reserved for blue oval cars. Don't know for sure..............:laughing:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
War Machine said:
I can't feel the difference in a single pound but +/- 3 is when I start to notice.

Pat, is that 32 psi cold or warm?

I put mine at 31 cold. That way when they are warmed up they should be close to 35. That for me is a happy medium. I usaully don't go lower than 29 cold b/c the ride is really loose w/ until the tire warms up. Over 35 warm in the rear and my traction starts to diminish.
:agree:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I really don't know (by the book that is) but I do know that when my tire pressure is low I can tell, the car rides funny, almost like it's following the cracks and waves in the road. This just happened to me two days ago and I thought something was wrong, until I checked my tire pressure, made the corrections, now my car rides perfect.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I notice a ride quality difference but I havn't seen alot of difference in traction on the street.

·
Banned
591 Posts
tire pressure can and will affect your handling and can be used to tune your car.
lower rear pressure will make you looser.

On a C5 I run 32 front , 28 rear.
My C4 I run 32/30:buhbye:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vettex2 said:
tire pressure can and will affect your handling and can be used to tune your car.
lower rear pressure will make you looser.

On a C5 I run 32 front , 28 rear.
My C4 I run 32/30:buhbye:
And, why do you like the car looser in the rear? Please esplain, Lucy....

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am set up like DC 30/26. I like to plant the front end hard in a turn the higher pressure allows this with less sidewall flex. I also feel like the rear feeling looser is easier to compensate for in the unlikley event of a slide out. I also feel more control if teh rear cant push the front around.

·
Banned
591 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
And, why do you like the car looser in the rear? Please esplain, Lucy....
loose is fast
tight is not

it's easier to handle a car thats loose.....it's a matter of degree...........those pressures actually make my car nuetral

1 - 16 of 16 Posts