Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This discussion started in another thread and I decided to make it a separate thread as to not hijack the thread where it started)

For you guys who have pockets that are as deep as the Atlantic ocean, this does not apply to you. This thread is for the benefit of those folks who have wanted a Corvette for as long as they can remember, have to finance the purchase and barely qualify, cannot afford to keep insurance on the car the entire year and the minute something breaks, they park the car for months until they can save up the dough to get it fixed.

I'd say that this car sucks as a daily driver if that is you. I'm going to save you some headaches and public transportation experiences. You do not want this car as the only car you have.

Another group of folks who this car sucks as a daily driver for is the 60 and up group who may be out of shape (depending on how out of shape you are, that number can drop significantly). Any car that you have to fall into and climb out of is not the car you want to drive day in and day out if you are really out of shape. It is just not comfortable to do. I will say that Vipers are a lot worse. Once you're in, both cars are a blast but man, jumping in and out of this car on a paper route would get old in a heartbeat.

We all know that when crap breaks on these cars, it can get really expensive if you can't do the work yourself. My many DIY's show just some of the common issues, some of which all C5's will see. Although these cars are currently cheap to buy, they are not cheap to own. If you are barely making your payments and insurance, this is not the car you want to have as your only car.

Now that I have explained in detail why I say this, feel free to jump in and voice your opinion if you feel differently. I'm dying to hear from those who do.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
(This discussion started in another thread and I decided to make it a separate thread as to not hijack the thread where it started)

For you guys who have pockets that are as deep as the Atlantic ocean, this does not apply to you. This thread is for the benefit of those folks who have wanted a Corvette for as long as they can remember, have to finance the purchase and barely qualify, cannot afford to keep insurance on the car the entire year and the minute something breaks, they park the car for months until they can save up the dough to get it fixed.

I'd say that this car sucks as a daily driver if that is you. I'm going to save you some headaches and public transportation experiences. You do not want this car as the only car you have.

Another group of folks who this car sucks as a daily driver for is the 60 and up group who may be out of shape (depending on how out of shape you are, that number can drop significantly). Any car that you have to fall into and climb out of is not the car you want to drive day in and day out if you are really out of shape. It is just not comfortable to do. I will say that Vipers are a lot worse. Once you're in, both cars are a blast but man, jumping in and out of this car on a paper route would get old in a heartbeat.

We all know that when crap breaks on these cars, it can get really expensive if you can't do the work yourself. My many DIY's show just some of the common issues, some of which all C5's will see. Although these cars are currently cheap to buy, they are not cheap to own. If you are barely making your payments and insurance, this is not the car you want to have as your only car.

Now that I have explained in detail why I say this, feel free to jump in and voice your opinion if you feel differently. I'm dying to hear from those who do.
...I often wonder about that.....:huh:

....you forgot to add the C4 too....:laughing:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I don't think anyone should buy a car unless they know they can afford it.

I drive mine every nice weather day I can. It will probably spend most days in the garage during the winter so it won't get trashed by the salt and cinders.

Even with this, the tires will cost me about $2000/yr alone. Other maintenance items, insurance, gas, etc. will probably add that much more.

This doesn't include the depreciation on what was about $60K, that could have been invested.

Bottom line, a new vette is not an inexpensive item to buy/own.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I've used my 1999 for 2 years and 5mo to date as a dd. I had the option before I got the car to either keep my dd (a 1998 chev suburban) or have my padre co-sign on a loan to purchase a car. I wanted a new car...the suburban just was not cutting it! I had nothing other than a vette in mind. First I was looking online for a late modle C4 1994-1996 I found a couple in Texas going for $13-16,000, I kept looking and one day I found a real nice C5 on autotrader. It was a 1999 FRC Torch Red with 68K on the clock for $17.9K, now this is more than I wanted to finance but I rationalized and came to the conclusion that the C5 was so much more of a car. So that same day I called the owner up and asked to come see the car. Long story short I took it for a drive, my dad went to the bank the next day got the papers and the car was mine! Honestly I'm still sure I made the right decision. Yes my payments are $441 per mo for 48 months. do I struggle to make the payments yeah..has my Dad helped me out when work was slow for me yeah. but right now I owe less than $8,000 on the thing and I still have a smile on my face everytime I get in the thing!

Now maintence for my car for me has only consisted of tires about $1,100 for a new set of Invos mounted, oil changes about $70 every 4 or 5 months, brakes (pads and new rotors about $900) and gas which this thing gets great highway mileage (31mpg).

So overall I could of gotten a less expensive car, had a little more cash to spend, but this car is an absolute blast to drive, I wouldn't have it anyother way. I get so many compliments on how it looks and people are kind of suprised that a 22 y/o college kid is driving a vette around campus, but vettes have been in my blood since my Dad brought home the 84' back when I was a kid.

I would definetly get another Vette as a dd!

Save the wave!

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man Big Mike, I could have saved you a ton on those brakes and rotors! :surprised

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Man Big Mike, I could have saved you a ton on those brakes and rotors! :surprised
Heck, I could save my self a TON of money if I were easy on my tires and brakes...but hey there meant to be worn!

:laughing:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
I think the tires are probably the biggest expense regarding a C-5 as a DD. If you can afford a new set once every year or two, I'd say you could probably afford a C5 as your DD.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the tires are probably the biggest expense regarding a C-5 as a DD. If you can afford a new set once every year or two, I'd say you could probably afford a C5 as your DD.:thumbsup:
Yep, you could easily go through a set of tires every 6 months with all that hardware you got Jeannie! :D

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I think your all blowing smoke here. Driven correctly as a DD the C5 can be very economical car. There are better tires for the C5 that are all weather, They just won't hold up to track style driving.

I have put 40k or 50k on a C5 with no repair problems. Also the hold their value.

C5's have no more complex or costly systems than a Chevrolet, Ford, or Chrysler Sedans or trucks. I have driven a C5 as a DD both summer and winter in the midwest.

Try getting a drive train repaired on a small 4 wheel drive import SUV, Hold on to your pocket book, and it takes so many factory tools that you won't be doing it your self.

As far as computers there pretty much the same for all 90 and newer cars. $$$$

C5's make just as good daily drivers as any other car, they get 26+ MPG and contrary to popular belief they can be driven with out going WOT. My god did I say that!

Just one old mans opinion...

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Why not just open up a can of worms! :surprised

I have purchased 9 "new" Corvettes over the past 35 years and 1 "used" 1971 (my only real regret). All have been DDs since I was 21 years old. When I purchased my C5 in 2000 that was the only time I ever owned a second car at the same time (1996 Taurus SHO). After a couple years I found the SHO was just getting in the way so I sold it off and for the past 8 years the C5 has been my only car.

For the first 7 years or so of ownership the car was virtually maintenance free. Then year 7 we all know about my engine disaster (I am assuming a fluke as I have only seen two other C5s experience the starter breaking the block problem). In nearly One Million miles of driving Corvettes, my year 7 experience with my C5 was the only time I have EVER had a Corvette fail me (to the point I could not drive it) and even then it was kind enough to crap out in my garage. Most of my Corvettes had right at 100,000 miles when I traded and most never saw the Dealership once. "Most" of the problems that I see with C5s give you some warning before leaving you stranded and that is all I can expect.

Most of my fears with the C5 are "electrical" related now that I am off warranty. Most of the mechanical parts are not that much worse than many other cars with Forum vendors and the like, but all these $1000 EBCMs, etc. are outrageously priced!

I cannot disagree with any of your comments, but there are some other possible considerations...

• I am turning 60 in a few months and when I got the C5 10 years ago, I could barely get in it. This became an incentive for me to start working out and getting in better shape - now it is effortless for me. If this changes, I may have to reevaluate.

• As a DD really depends on how much you drive. I drive mine everyday and after over 10 years I only have 47,000 miles (never been out of town with it). I admit that if I drove this car like my previous Corvettes (20-30k miles per year), I would not feel comfortable with it on the highway, but for the few miles I drive everyday it works fine for me.

• Maintaining a C5 like mine to where it is always in near showroom presentation is going to be expensive. I am assuming that I will spend close to what the payment would be on a newer C6, but to me a pristine C5 is worth way more than any C6. If GM had come out with a "cooler" design, the C5 would be gone, but I got lucky since I have not seen any car under $100k that I like better - so for me I would rather put the money into something I really like.

I have to admit that the GMPP Extended Warranty saved my butt for about 2 years there (about $16,000 covered) - that would have been devastating, but short of another engine failure, I hope to be able to keep ahead of the issues.

My insurance is about $850/year and so far it has been break even (considering all my replaced windshields, etc.), but I am also insured for $10,000 above book value in case of a total loss (mainly so they will think twice before totaling the car for minor cosmetic damage).

Bottom line is that if you are going to maintain a C5 in like almost new condition, it will cost as much as buying a new C6 in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think your all blowing smoke here. Driven correctly as a DD the C5 can be very economical car.
But here's the problem Ivan, one man's economical is another man's arm and a leg!

Of course, Choreo always has some good insight on these "controversial" topics! :thumbsup:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
I had an 02 ZO6 that was my daily driver for over three years. It's a great car. I've had the C6 Z for over four now as a daily driver. I get better gas milage than most people. I don't have any complaints.

Jr.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Heck, I could save my self a TON of money if I were easy on my tires and brakes...but hey there meant to be worn!

:laughing:
I like your attitude. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks like the waters fine so ill hop on in. If youre fortunate enough to live in a part of the country that stays warm all year a person is probably going to drive all year. Personally for me I couldnt own just a Corvette. Having another car is mandatory. Ive got a 2001 ZO6 and its beeen a great car from the git go. Its got killer looks that still turns heads, its got some mods but not to the extreme, so the its streetable and I have learned to be a good DIYer thanks to Junkman and others, its paid off (Thank God). As far as tires, ive gotten pretty good deals (usually in the $700-800 range) but tires ususally lasts me about 3 years. Got my Rhino Ramps and other tools to start changing my own oil. As far as the ABS sensor, Ive paid the ABSfixer $150 to repair mine and i removed and replaced it myself. Its a true love affair. As nice as the C6ZO6s are, I cant see getting behind the eight ball as far as payments are concerned for a car that faster for sure but I dont own enough road to ever see the full potential of that monster. It gets plenty of looks but so does mine. Also, I see many vette owners on these forums complaining about broken parts,usually lifters or rear ends and when the story is told, its realized that these cars are drag raced, hot dogged, burnouts from stoplights and very other chance they get. That will wear these cars out pretty quick. And if youre not made of money, you have to think twice about driving it like you stole it.:agree:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I bought my Vette blind, I was shopping for a car for my son and got tired of looking at the beater Hondas and such. So I switched my autotrader searching to Vette's just to see what was out there. I picked up a 97 with 100K for 17, fair market value for the condition.
I have since had numerous electrical bugs, a random service vehicle soon that comes up and I have yet to find the source. I have had the security light come on while driving and the car not stop with numerous attempts with the key, only to start with nothing done except removing and reinstalling the key. I have since found my ignition is worn and the key can be pulled part of the way out causing the light. I have had ABS lights come on and bug with the digital AC controls.
I have had to replace a water pump so far, idler pulleys and cleaned up corrosion around the battery compartment. If it werent for the fact I spend the money on the GM Service manuals, a few hundred on software for my lap top for computer diagnostics and constant hours on the forums I would have had to have spent alot of money on shop time.
Its not my daily driver except for these two past weeks, my Cruiser is down for a front suspension bushing. I could make it the DD but due to its age we find it better to make it special and drive it Fri-Sun.
I have had many guys from work tell me they are looking at buying a C5 and I always share my experience and they realize without mechanical knowledge to work on the car themselves, they cant afford it

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Of course, Choreo always has some good insight on these "controversial" topics! :thumbsup:
My biggest concern is that if you are having trouble getting in and out of your C5, how are you Junkmandizing all these babes? :devil:

If youre fortunate enough to live in a part of the country that stays warm all year a person is probably going to drive all year.:
Good point, fortunately I live where I can drive about 350 days a year - the only thing that stops me is when the winds turn tornadic and do a hone job on the paint.

... they realize without mechanical knowledge to work on the car themselves, they cant afford it
Another, good point, if you cannot do some/most of the work yourself, it could get really bad, really fast!

The only real downside for me using my C5 as a DD is that I cannot take it to places like the Movie Theater, so I just walk there now and wear my Corvette lanyard so that everyone "thinks" I am not destitute (or maybe just pitiful). :thud:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I bought my Vette blind, I was shopping for a car for my son and got tired of looking at the beater Hondas and such. So I switched my autotrader searching to Vette's just to see what was out there. I picked up a 97 with 100K for 17, fair market value for the condition.
I have since had numerous electrical bugs, a random service vehicle soon that comes up and I have yet to find the source. I have had the security light come on while driving and the car not stop with numerous attempts with the key, only to start with nothing done except removing and reinstalling the key. I have since found my ignition is worn and the key can be pulled part of the way out causing the light. I have had ABS lights come on and bug with the digital AC controls.
I have had to replace a water pump so far, idler pulleys and cleaned up corrosion around the battery compartment. If it werent for the fact I spend the money on the GM Service manuals, a few hundred on software for my lap top for computer diagnostics and constant hours on the forums I would have had to have spent alot of money on shop time.
Its not my daily driver except for these two past weeks, my Cruiser is down for a front suspension bushing. I could make it the DD but due to its age we find it better to make it special and drive it Fri-Sun.
I have had many guys from work tell me they are looking at buying a C5 and I always share my experience and they realize without mechanical knowledge to work on the car themselves, they cant afford it
$17K is way to much $ for a 97' with a hundred on the clock...just sayin.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I like turning my own wrenches and have my truck as a second vehicle, so take this with a grain of salt. I have spent twice as much on repairs to my F150 as I have on the C5 in about the same amount of time. The F150 only has 6k more miles and never sees anything but pavement. I have been known to occasionally drive the C5 like an angry teenager who just got dumped by his girlfriend. For equal driving styles, I think it is just as durable and maintenance-free as the next vehicle. We are just more aware of problem areas since we are enthusiasts.

I was helping a friend look for parts and tires for her Pontiac G6. Her tires are about the same price as the ones I have at the moment. She gets about the same fuel mileage, but is missing about 150hp for my liking.

Yeah, if you don't mind the long doors and perilous drop into the seats, it's a great DD. It's easier to get into than a Viper, Lotus, or any previous generation F-body. Parking lot dings tend to just mar the paint, not crack the body. If something does damage a panel, it is easily replaced save for the rocker panels.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.