Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've discovered to my utter dismay that the door post on the driver side is quite badly rusted, to the point it definitely needs major reconstruction.

I also have to replace the body mounts, so would think this would be the best time to do this? Also have to do some repair on the driver floor pan.

Now, the big Q - how in the world can I access that door post to weld in some new metal? Do any body panels come off from the outside? Forgive me, it's been some time since I've looked closely at it.

I've never worked on a Vette before, and I'm more of a wrencher than a body man besides. But I do have welding and metal working capability.

If you can help me get access to it, I can take it from there.

I found the Crash Manual and will be studying that as a start.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I've been down to the Cape a few times. I bought an old Dodge van for the 360 it carried many years ago. Towed it all the way back up to Columbia. Good memories.

Can't help much with the body. I know the skins do come off with some effort, and repairing the windshield frame portion of the birdcage is not as easy task.

Investigate further down, and inspect the bottom of the windshield frame too. It's a common rust area.

Hey, will your car be road worthy at the end of April? We go down to the Lake for a HUGE care show every summer. It's be great if you'd join some of us there.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We go down to the Lake for a HUGE care show every summer. .

1. care show [pronounced: kairr show] -Noun

A place where a bunch of guys get together with their cars, sing kumbaya and tell each other how much they care about each other.

:smack:rolling:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for your year. The AIM shows the installation of all the interior and exterior trim pieces covering the windshield post.

Personally, I would make the windshield frame repairs before doing anything with body mounts.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I
Investigate further down, and inspect the bottom of the windshield frame too. It's a common rust area.

Hey, will your car be road worthy at the end of April? We go down to the Lake for a HUGE care show every summer. It's be great if you'd join some of us there.
Yeah, I've seen some pics of that frame. I hadn't noticed any problems on mine, but haven't specifically looked at that real closely either.

I'm afraid mine won't see the road for probly 4 years yet, won't even start work on it till I retire then. I work away from home on new power plant projects so am hardly ever home, unlike now when I'm laid off - first time in a long time - so no spare $ of course. This is going to be a retirement project.

Have gone thru Columbia lots - last job was a 2-1/2 yr stint
for KCPL north of KC. Also worked for a contractor at a P&G facility in KC (Folgers, they used to own them) and made the KC to Cape drive every weekend for a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I

Yeah, I've seen some pics of that frame. I hadn't noticed any problems on mine, but haven't specifically looked at that real closely either.

I'm afraid mine won't see the road for probly 4 years yet, won't even start work on it till I retire then. I work away from home on new power plant projects so am hardly ever home, unlike now when I'm laid off - first time in a long time - so no spare $ of course. This is going to be a retirement project.

Have gone thru Columbia lots - last job was a 2-1/2 yr stint for KCPL north of KC. Also worked for a contractor at a P&G facility in KC (Folgers, they used to own them) and made the KC to Cape drive every weekend for a year.

I've got a copy of the "Crash Manual" just haven't had the chance to study it since I found it just a couple days ago. Not sure if that will give me as much info as the Assembly Manual or not, will have to check into that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts