Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with component speakers, you know that placing the tweeter with the woofer in the door mount significantly reduces your high frequency response on the driver's side because of your leg being in the way and the fact that it's virtually impossible to get good imaging

A pillar tweeter mounts have long been the best approach to quality imaging in all sorts of cars. My approach is the simplest method to mounting tweeters without the need for fiberglassing any other molding. Here goes:

I began today’s fun in the sun by removing the front tweeters from their original locations in the speaker plates and moving them around the dash to see where I liked them best. I finally decided on the front-most point on each A pillar. My original plan called for a flush mount install that would minimize viewing obstruction and appear most like stock, but this idea was traded in favor of the 30deg angle mounts I used in the original install so I could better adjust the aim, but mostly because I lost the original installation hardware and didn’t have the flush mounts.

The physical part of the tweeter switch was deceptively simple. There turned out to be plenty of space under the front part of the A pillar for an easy installation. I was a little hesitant to cutting into the vinyl of the A pillars but after seeing that the underside of the vinyl was secured with foam and glue I had much less of a problem cutting it

Test fit:
Drivers side

Passenger side

Turns out pencil can write on vinyl and can be erased as well. Modification was as easy as drawing a half-dollar sized circle, cutting the vinyl along the circle with an exacto knife and cutting the same sized hole in the plastic. (could have been done with a hole cutting drill bit, but I used a dremel because I didn’t have one)

Outline for tweeter:

installed:

After installing the tweeters I set about adjusting my Xovers. Apparently it pays to read the directions. I found that when I initially set the Xovers I used the wrong criteria for selecting the settings. (I measured the angle between the tweeter, my ear and the woofer, and then the distance between the woofer and the tweeter….I was supposed to measure the difference in distance between my ear and the tweeter/woofer respectively and the off axis angle of the woofer. To give you an idea of how the original settings affected my sound here’s what I had apparently set:

RR
Electric Xover point: 2900Hz
Acoustic Xover point: 3400Hz (30 deg)
LPF: Low-Q Semi 1st order
HPF: Low-Q 4th order
LR
Electric Xover point: n/a
Acoustic Xover point: 2850Hz (60 deg)
LPF: None
RF
Electric Xover point: 3700Hz
Acoustic Xover point: 3300 Hz (0 deg)
LPF: Low-Q 2nd order
LF

As you can see, it really messed with my sound…BIG TIME. I did the measurements properly this time and came up with the following settings:

RR
LR
Electric Xover point: 3400 Hz
Acoustic Xover point: 2250Hz (60 deg)
RF
Electric Xover point: 3400 Hz
Acoustic Xover point: 3800Hz (0 deg)
LF
Electric Xover point: N/A
Acoustic Xover point: 2350Hz (60 deg)
LPF: none
HPF: Low-Q 3rd order

The results were awesome. It turns out there was a 4” difference in the positions of the Left front tweeter/woofer relative to my ear. (tweeter being 4” further) The passenger side woofer/ tweeter were almost the exact same distance from my ear. I’m very pleased with the overall result. My soundstage is raised significantly and the reflection of the tweeters off the windshield is minimal with the angle mounts.

relation to woofer:

Overall modification took about 3 hours from park to drive. It’s also worth noting that running the wires was very easy to the new locations and turned out to be roughly the same amount of wire (no splicing/cutting was necessary because I used slide connection terminals in the original install.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
589 Posts
thx ill need this

·
996 Posts
That is a pretty cool set up..

This is what I decided to do..

I found that if I mounted the tweeters up there they were not visible from the outside.

·
996 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imaging?? I am not sure what you mean by that.
Imaging is the way you perceive sounds of various frequencies from a single position. In this instance, having high mounted tweeters usually split the high and low frequencies to much the music sounds like it’s coming from above and below. Ideal sound staging makes the music appear to come from directly in front of the listener, however your setup has the tweeters aimed in such a way that it might move the staging to a lower level, even though their mounted high.

Basically, what does it sound like?

·
996 Posts
I guess I never thought of it that way.

I guess it does sound like it is coming from up and in front, not directly in front. I never thought about that part of the audio tuning.

I thought the direction of the tweeter mattered more than location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts