Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

During my testing of conversion to European standards, I installed an SCLM which was a huge error.

It didn't make things work better and it had negatives consequences on top of it ... snif.

Is it possible to deprogram this module from the BCM without buying a new BCM?

If I buy a new BCM, will I have to replace the cluster or will the cluster rely on the BCM for the configuration? Cluster is also complaining about the lack of SCLM and throwing codes.

Thanks,

Cedric

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
pfffh all my BCM posts are always left unanswered ...

So either:

1. Those who know don't like me ...
  2. No one actually knows ...
  3. Who reads posts from a Frenchman anyway :smack

Anyone know which one it is? :huh:

Thanks,

Cedric

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
pfffh all my BCM posts are always left unanswered ...

So either:

1. Those who know don't like me ...
  2. No one actually knows ...
  3. Who reads posts from a Frenchman anyway :smack

Anyone know which one it is? :huh:

Thanks,

Cedric
1st tell me what SCLM stands for then wait a day or two for me to get a chance to see my tuner buddy and I might have an answer for you. I don't think there are alot of people that understand the BCM

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1st tell me what SCLM stands for then wait a day or two for me to get a chance to see my tuner buddy and I might have an answer for you. I don't think there are alot of people that understand the BCM
Hi Raid,

The SCLM is the Steering Column Lock Module, removed in US versions of the Corvette, it remains installed in export versions.

In order for me to make the Corvette compliant to EURO regulations I had to switch the BCM over to EURO mode.

However in EURO mode, the SCLM is mandatory and the car refuses to start without it. So I purchased an SCLM and installed it but it never really worked correctly - my assumption was that I incorrectly configured the SCLM upon install.
The reason for this is that having no one to explain how to install and configure the SCLM, I assume the fault to be mine and not on the hardware.

So I removed the SCLM and switched the BCM to Japan mode, the car then behaves consistently with Euro specs and does not require the SCLM to start up.

The BCM and the cluster do throw error codes related to the absent SCLM (that I had configured) but the car started and worked perfectly, setting aside one issue.

The single problem with Japan mode is that the TPMS does not work at all, so there is no way to get the tire pressure. Now I have never been able to get it working, maybe someone who knows the vette will actually get it working.

On Friday the car was bitching, demanding the SCLM and refusing to start. I had to switch back to US mode to get the car to start, but in US mode, I am not compliant to Euro specs.

So my current thought is to buy a new BCM and have my dealership configure it factory and flip back to Japan mode.

Without the SCLM installed the Japan mode answered all my issues, setting aside the fact that the TPMS was not working. When I mean not working, I could drive the car with wheels that have no tire pressure sensors at all ...

But if I can avoid a trip to the DealerShip it would be nice, I don't mind going to ECS or VD (if they have TIS access). Even though I am starting to get a good relationship with the Service Manager of my dealership, the Vette remains out of their league from a technical view.

:cheers:

a++ Cedric

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
Alright, armed with all this info let me talk to Greg and see if I can come up with a solution for you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reprogram into Middle East mode will delete the SCLM function while the Euro spec items will operative.

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
Crap I forgot to post back to you, sorry. You will have to go to your dealer unless you want to drive your car down here. He would need the whole car. You have to have the SCLM "flashed" to your car. No big deal, shouldn't take more than a few minutes. If you have any questions call him Greg, 813-690-0175

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reprogram into Middle East mode will delete the SCLM function while the Euro spec items will operative.
Partially correct: in this mode the tail lights continue to function in US mode and not euro mode.

Two options in this case:

1. put a resistor to simulate the extra load and a circuit to remove the brake light from the turn signal.

2. leave us lights at the back and give cash to any authority that disputes the legality of those lamps.

Alternative is switch to Japan mode - works really in euro mode, doesn't require SCLM but and the big but the TPMS system is none operative.

Currently I'm driving around in Japan mode but the TPMS is completely inoperative.

a++ Cedric

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crap I forgot to post back to you, sorry. You will have to go to your dealer unless you want to drive your car down here. He would need the whole car. You have to have the SCLM "flashed" to your car.
I would love to drive down, but the car is going to be shipped next Friday to Europe.

I initially flashed the SCLM to the car and it raised a **** load of issues, especially with the steering column lock.

I will call Greg on Monday, if he doesn't mind, to have a quick talk with him.

Thanks,

Cedric

ps: Went to the dealership to have the RCDLR reprogrammed and it appears, touch wood, to be working for now. Still don't have the freaking TPMS functional.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does the DIC indicate TPMS defect in Japan mode ?

In Europe you can continue the job, in fact several Vettes has been converted from US into EU spec, include the SCLM function.

How weird, have EU spec original, converting into US spec, starting from back to front........

Left hand lamps US, RH side EU spec.....

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, in japan mode the TPMS are none functional.

Also, I added the SCLM but it raised many issues, hence this post. I have successfully removed it. I will never add it again, AFAIC it's a piece of junk and a nuisance.

To go from EU to US mode it's very simple, for 50 euros you can buy a multiplexer that works just fine.

The reverse is not true, at least I have not found anything, I was forced to build my own electronic circuit whilst having the car in Dubai mode.

a++ Cedric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts