Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how do i fix "code 16" '92 vette?

good morning to all! i have a '92 vette. i had to replace the water pump this week and also ended up replacing opti-spark(cap and rotor) and wires (that was fun, not). after installing all new parts, i started the car and it sounded funky. i put all wires in correct places and filled liquids(before starting the car, also disconnected the battery before starting this project). i pulled a code 16 which says "opti-spark ignition timing system. low pulse". does anybody know how to fix this code? also put new ecm in nov. 2009. i let the car idle for about 40 min. thinking ecm needed to learn new parts. went to rev rpms and it hesitated, almost bogging out, unless i eased the throttle and will not exceed 4,000 rpm. any ideas? double and triple checked wires against manual. exhaust manifolds started glowing red, turned car off immediately. sounds like timing is off, but how?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I'm not much help on the LT cars but here's a bump for you, hopefully one of the smarter guys can chime in and help you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I know very little about LT cars myself but why did you replace the old opti? I don't think the ECM needs to relearn any new parts but I would certainly try replacing the old parts if I could or get a known good set of wires since they are easier to replace and then try the old opti or a known good one.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
A DTC 16, , is a bad low res signal being picked up from the optispark
Could be a open wire ,a short or a bad pickup in the dist
Check the connector on the opti first

http://www.fastbird93.com/diagnostics/dtc16.jpg

:agree:

Pay particular attention to the plug connections on the both ends of the short harness from the main harness to the opti!:thumbsup:
Also check the harness behind the engine,there bad about chaffing between the engine and cowl!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now for the kicker,did the opti slide right on,or did you force it ? I've seen guys not have the Keyed Splined Shaft to the opti aligned correctly and force the opti on with the 3 bolts,Thus getting the ignition out of time and Trashing a New Opti!!:surprised

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the new opti did slide on after aligning the keyhole up on the spline. did not force it on. i checked the four wire pin connector plugging to the distrib (cause that didn't go on easy) to verify that pins are not bent. i will check all other wires going to opti again. don't really want to take this all apart again. it's not easy nor fun. can ignition mod make this happen? checking those wires also before complete tear down again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've always been under the assumption that code 16 is the dreaded code.... in other words time to replace the opti.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts