Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the running gear is in, The suspension is in. And its streetable, So I guess I have to do some thing with the hood. Have I told you how much I hate Paint and Body stuff...:laughing:

It looked weird with the Air Cleaner setting on top the hood...

As the Carb is level with the top of the hood The most logical thing I could come up with is a cold air cowl induction.

The later model hood has a location formed in it for a grill in the rear.So all you have to do cut it out to install.

I then went to K&N site an looked for a filter the dimensions I needed. One for a CHEV.CAPRICE, V8-5.0,5.7 1991-93 Was just the size I needed, and It was about the same size as a stock Z06 filter.

Now its just a mater of fabing a mount for it from Aluminum.

Next I picked up a 2" scoop from JEG's and cut it down to the size we needed.

As I have never worked with fiberglass before this has been a new experience.

All that is left to do is glass it in now and that is going to be an experience of its own. I will cover that in another thread.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Looks like a great idea. Make sure you get a good seal from the carb to the hood so you don't pull in any air that isn't filtered.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Cleaner than the 68 L-88 Hood. That is what I thought you would use.

Look Great:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starting to glass it in.

Well working with glass is a totally new experience. But its getting easer with every piece I lay down. I discovered real quick that you can not build a thickness of glass very fast one layer at a time.

I calculated it would take about 16 layers to add 1/16th of and inch, thats a lot of glass cloth. So I went back to the drawing board.

I am now using a layer of glass and then sandwiching Dynaglass filler then another layer of glass.

Here are some pictures of the progress made so far. Its a slow process for me as I am taking my time and learning as I go, so if I screw up I don't have a big mess to sand or grind off. :D

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
Oh that looks like fun!! I think your doing a great job! :partyon::partyon:

Guess your not bored in your retirement. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Very cool idea.

Looks like you and Jason could use someone with a little body work experience. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Holy high rise!:surprised That's going to be awesome when it's done Ivan!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you need some glasswork help, hit the west marine store closest to you. The West system epoxy has a great pamphlet on building fiberglass componentry. I have used the west system products with great success on my boat projects and the fiberglass and SMC cars we love. The mirofibers, microbaloons and other filler media mix up well with epoxy, polyester and vinylester resins. It is nice to be able to mix up and tailor the filler to your application with no fears of delamination or product compatibility. If you make that hood any higher, you're going to have to install a periscope to see the right ft coner:laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh that looks like fun!! I think your doing a great job! :partyon::partyon:

Guess your not bored in your retirement. :laughing:
One thing I am not is bored, I just told Wendy that I wish winter would get here so I could go south and lay on the beach and rest...:D

Very cool idea.

Looks like you and Jason could use someone with a little body work experience. :laughing:
The only body work I have ever been good at is on a wom(oh never mind)

If you make that hood any higher, you're going to have to install a periscope to see the right ft coner:laughing:
I can just see the top of it over the scoop...:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts