Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a pair of lower door carpeting for the 84'. Does anyone know how to install it? Can i use glue, if so what kind?
Thanks

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
That's how they are held on. As for what glue, good luck the stuff GM uses is great but I am having a hell of a time keeping the lower carpet under the gauge cluster on. The pass. side is on no problem but the drivers keeps falling off. Let me know what you end up using and maybe I can get that one piece to stay on.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I used contact cement on the bottom of the dash and it hasn't held well, nor did indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive.

The doors I just contact cemented and then stapled the perimeter with an electic crown nailer. I then cut the excess length off the back. I would not reccommend this, as it is a lot of work and if you have to replace them again, have fun, lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used contact cement on mine, worked good. I am in the carpet buisness and we use this all the time for wall carpet and steps.

·
Registered
724 Posts
:spanked: NO,NO,NO, don't use contact cement. Use 3M band super 90 spray adhesive. It is what professional upholstery guys use for stuff like that. It is in an aerosal can so it is easy to apply, and it holds carpet and vinyl great. You can actually pick it up at lowes. Just make sure it is the 3M brand.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
:spanked: NO,NO,NO, don't use contact cement. Use 3M band super 90 spray adhesive. It is what professional upholstery guys use for stuff like that. It is in an aerosal can so it is easy to apply, and it holds carpet and vinyl great. You can actually pick it up at lowes. Just make sure it is the 3M brand.
That won't hold my underdash carpet.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have both the contact cement and spray adhesive. Maybe ill use both and finish it off with a nice strong weld:laughing:

·
Registered
724 Posts
:thumbsup:
I have both the contact cement and spray adhesive. Maybe ill use both and finish it off with a nice strong weld:laughing:

·
Registered
724 Posts
That won't hold my underdash carpet.
Is the carpet deteriorating? Try black weatherstripping adhesive. If that doesn't work, Try dynamite.:rolling:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Is the carpet deteriorating? Try black weatherstripping adhesive. If that doesn't work, Try dynamite.:rolling:
No it's brand new it's the craziest thing I have ever seen. I have cleaned both sides and used just about every product out there. I have just about given up on it I don't even have it in the car anymore.:laughing:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure if you use the contact, to glue the carpet and panel and let dry. I found some matching carpet at work then cut a pattern out from the old piece, then bound the carpet with our machine. worked so good i redid the whole car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
:agree: Thats what I used when I installed the new interior in my 84 and it worked great.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put all new carpet in my 91 last winter. Used my wifes hot melt glue gun. It worked great. Door panels dash sills console etc.
Im surprised hot glue works, but hey as long as it works why not.:thumbsup:

I used this stuff by "Heads Up" called super duty interior adhesive. It's an aerosol and worked pretty good. Cut the carpet out around my alpines and it looks really nice. Ill post pics soon!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think the problem stuff doesn't stick is because the carpet has that weird waxy feeling plastic-like backing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts