Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know cause gonna do it this weekend!!! Any special tricks to make it easier? What I need to know is pretty much everything that's not obvious, but especially if you have to turn the wheels all the way to one side or the other or what?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
No you don't have to turn the wheels, just mount the steering valve/center link on the pitman arm and then connec the steering column w/ the hardy disk. Make sure you have the column centered and the steering linkage centered before hooking these up. Easiest done by using the indicators and turning the wheel and makring w/ some pieces of tape where the cancel cam engages. Then you will easily find center w/ a proper steering wheel orientation and then hookm it up. Get it wrong and your cancel cam will not work as supposed to.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Centered, pointing straight ahead, however you want to call it. Yep!

YOu might measure the front and rear of the front tires at the same point front and back to find the point they're going straight. Or measure from the rear axle to the front axle- get the same numbers on both sides and there you go. Just my thoughts on other ways to do what TT said.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool dudes, thanks! Gonna do it right meow. I think my worm gear is worn cause it didn't have power steering hooked up for a while and I got an arm work out when steering. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did this last weekend on my car and it went smooth i took the header of to get to the 3 bolts that held the box in place,the hardest is to get the pitman arm of the steering box,i had to press mine out with a 40 ton press to get it of :surprised you have a small stamp on the column if you take the horn button of it should point straight up,then the column is centered.Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... after wasting 4 hours of my life trying to get the pitman arm off of the stupid steering box, I bolted it all back up and I'll be taking it to a shop tomorrow to have them press the damn thing out. I hate when this happens. I get excited to replace something old with something new on my car and then I run into a ton of problem or better yet, I don't have the right tool.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well... after wasting 4 hours of my life trying to get the pitman arm off of the stupid steering box, I bolted it all back up and I'll be taking it to a shop tomorrow to have them press the damn thing out. I hate when this happens. I get excited to replace something old with something new on my car and then I run into a ton of problem or better yet, I don't have the right tool.
I believe Autozone rents the Pitman puller for free. The flat side of the steer shaft should face up when centered. GTR1999 rebuilds these better than most.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dudes, thanks for all the great input! There's a guy here in San Diego that fixes up C3 vettes and has whatever you need laying around. I ended up going to the shop he uses and I also got a Lonestar Musclecar rebuilt steering valve as well as a new ram. Essentially I paid $75 for the valve, $75 for the ram, and $180 for the new steering box. I paid the guy $200 to install everything and an alignment job too. So, $500ish total for ALL new steering all said and done. Not too bad I think for steering that rivals the new cars of today!! I'm happy as hell!:partyon: Thanks again for the input. What I have learned, again, is that it pays to have someone else do it, especially if that's what they do for a living.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts