Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, here is a question that I've been thinking about, how do you think they should increase the power in the C7? :huh:

Should they just keep on increasing displacement on the smallblock, risking making the engine weaker?

Should they switch to another larger block?

Forced induction? Let the engine rev higher? Complicated technologies?

I'm a fan of a the 6.3L but I don't think they should poke and stroke that block out too much more, unless they're willing to stick in some of the materials and goodies from the LS7 but that might drive the price up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
GM should not go further with the power. They should improve in other areas: dual-clutch transmission (like DSG), brakes, suspension, seats, down-force.
To me the LS7 is good enough. I don't need forced induction, ever.
It is hard enough to put the power down in the C6 Z06, why adding more power?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The problem with large OHV engines is that they make a lot of torque. What a problem, right? But the thing is, if you have a DOHC with VVT and DI making 700hp @7200rpm and 500tq @5200rpm, it will, obviously, be much faster than the current Z, yet will not be horribly harder to launch, and roll on throttle in second gear wont be so frightening. High hp/lower tq engines give you the speed without as much of a launch issue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
GM should not go further with the power. They should improve in other areas: dual-clutch transmission (like DSG), brakes, suspension, seats, down-force.
To me the LS7 is good enough. I don't need forced induction, ever.
It is hard enough to put the power down in the C6 Z06, why adding more power?
:agree: Power isn't everything!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If GM leaves the hp at 430, they will be slaughtered. They need 3000lbs and 475hp to compete in the C7. Look at all the new Japanese cars making nearly 500hp which will b out in a few years, in time for the C7. "No more power" means the death of the Vette.

·
Registered
334 Posts
They really need to improve the brakes, suspension and maybe try and cut the weight too. They should start trying to get as much performance out of the car with the 430hp LS3 as possible without touching the engine. They have the power and low down grunt now lets see them get to where they can be "underpowered" and still put a hurting on everything else.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If GM leaves the hp at 430, they will be slaughtered. They need 3000lbs and 475hp to compete in the C7. Look at all the new Japanese cars making nearly 500hp which will b out in a few years, in time for the C7. "No more power" means the death of the Vette.
Thats what the Z06 and blue devil are for, both are north of 500. I agree that future development should be focused on lightening the car, continuing to improve the suspension, and upgrading the interior.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GM doesn't need to limit torque just find a better way to control it. Most top-end cars have somesort of launch conrol, I like the Racelogic Traction Control System C6Dude is using. Some wider and stickier tires like the PS2's would be nice too. For power by way of tech the only thing needed is the L92 cam phaser, I was really suripised that the LS3 didn't get it, should've good for power to the 450hp/435tq range.

As for the ZO6 and SS more Carbon fiber to keep weight down (CF body) and rwhp up (CF driveshaft and half-shafts), mybe even use CF wheels like the Callaways and some more Mag.

As for the rest of the Vette it's just small things that need work like the intrior. But it's going to be hard to make the "Best even Better" ever year.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Weight! Toss the Run Flats and get some sticky tires. Base C7 with 450hp and south of 3000lbs would be nice. Z06 with 550-600 hp and less then 2800lbs.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Horsepower is nothing but a marketing blip if the suspension and chassis don't evolve. Those 3 digits hardly tell the story of where the Corvette should start continue its progress. Further precision and usability is where the C7 can continue to succeed.

Things are going to get interesting before HP numbers continue to climb. Federal regulations should offset drastic leaps forward as we've seen in recent years. This should allow engineers to focus on the depth of computer assistance, as well as with future transmission platforms.

·
Registered
762 Posts
This is what the corvette needs. The viper got it for '08, and although the LS3 is proving to be bad ass, this would make it much much better.

This is the real reason the Viper went from 510hp to 600hp.

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/vva-products/concentric-camshafts

Add this to some multi-dis and you'll have 500hp base vettes that get 30+ on the highway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is what the corvette needs. The viper got it for '08, and although the LS3 is proving to be bad ass, this would make it much much better.

This is the real reason the Viper went from 510hp to 600hp.

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/vva-products/concentric-camshafts

Add this to some multi-dis and you'll have 500hp base vettes that get 30+ on the highway.
The fancy camshaft is not the reason. It is very easy to make 600 HP from a 8.4 L engine.
Also I am not impressed at all with this SCP camshaft, read on the page/link: "1000 hours durability"??

As for the multi-displacement, that is a big mistake and should never be in a top performance sports car. Make your mind: you want performance or economy.
:cheers:

·
Registered
42 Posts
As for the multi-displacement, that is a big mistake and should never be in a top performance sports car. Make your mind: you want performance or economy.
:cheers:
Given upcoming Federal rules, I think "both" is going to have to be an option, like it or not. I think a 400+ hp Vette that got 30 mpg and was still a blast to drive would be a pretty freaking excellent achievement, personally.

If you want to keep being able to buy new factory high-horse cars, you need to start thinking about this stuff.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah I have to agree with biturbo, one or the other. I think they should offer a factory race vette like the C6.R but just take a Zo6 and have absolutely nothing in it. Lexan windows, race car interior(plastics are good), improved suspension, and a 6pt roll cage.

EDIT: Make it an option for the hardcore race car drivers

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ok, well if we want to throw fuel efficiency out the window, then we might as well get rid of sixth gear as well, that's why the Vette achieves it's 28mpg as it is. Multi-dis doesn't hurt the car's image at all, it doesn't hurt performance at all, it simply improves gas mileage when you are just cruising.

If you want a race car, make a race car. Buy an old C5 Z06 and rip it up. There were a few of those last time I went and raced at Firebird.

Personally, I like being about to drive all over the state to find the best roads and tear them up, and get 28 mpg on the way. I took a 439 mile road trip on Saturday and didn't fill it back up till I got home.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The concentric camshafts are a neat idea. But from what I've heard from [email protected] the Viper's motor is programed for VVT only on the exhaust. I'd like to see somebody retrofit this in a LSx just for $hit and giggles. I'm a little worried about durabillty in the long run too (got to be a pain to for the oiling system to lube).

The L92's vane phaser does a great job of phasing the engine's intake AND exhaust timimg but it is dependent. With GM's upcoming dual cam-in-block engines coming we can use 2 L92 phasers and get dual Independent cam phasing with better durabillty making the concentric camshafts setup obsolete.

Plus GM's phasers and BMW's VANOS setups use hydraulic power to control the cams and as such have less parts, weight, and put less drag(parastic loss) on the crank. I belive these systems give a better power per drag ratio then complex setups like Valvetronic or Nissan's new VVEL. Somebody needs to put all this stuff on a Spintron and see how much drag each type of setup has. I'm betting GM can add a Supercharger to the LS3 (like the BlueDevil) and STILL have less drag!

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
no detailed explaination here, I'm just hoping for 3 little numbers outta the past..... 454.... It'd be cool to have a 454 ci Vette .

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, at least everyone is still thinking of OHV engines. With new technology, the oHV has a longer lifespan in the corvette, plus it seems to be the corvette's character.

Anyways, if GM could add a couple things without too much cost (they are already working on it in other power plants I think), it would be a nice way to round out the LS motor:
1. Direct Injection- GM is working on this for OHV engines, right? Anyways, it would add a nice dollop of power AND improve economy.
2. Variable valve timing- help with emissions and fuel economy, better torque too?
3. Not necessary, but if it could be added without compromising engine integrity, cylinder deactivation. With that high 6th gear....might hit 30 mpg freeway.

Anyways, this stuff would still keep the light OHV assembly, but would it make the engine too complicated, making it more expensive (to buy and fix)?

Also, I'm always in favor of the other mentioned way of basically adding power...taking away weight. CF is still expensive though, maybe add it in a Z51 package?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I say the less moving parts there are, the less can go wrong.
You could also say, the less can go right.:D

Lets see DOHC in the C7.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts