Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys,

So I have been working on a method to make your headlights permanently clear and here it is. There are many ways to make your headlights clear such as kits from the store (3M is pretty good), toothpaste, baking soda, brake fluid, bug spray, wet sand, etc. Some work great, others are bad for your lens, but no matter what, all of those methods are temporary.

This video shows my method that is a permanent UV seal over the headlight lens so it wont fade. I experimented with different grit sandpaper, different sanding methods, different clear coats, and this is what I found to work best after all my testing.

Let me know what you think!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You've got some fast hands. Must make your girlfriend jealous. :laughing:

I would have stopped sanding with 3000 grit, buffed that headlight out with a light polish and then applied the clear coat. That would have gotten rid of that ever so slight haze left behind after the 2000 grit.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You've got some fast hands. Must make your girlfriend jealous. :laughing:

I would have stopped sanding with 3000 grit, buffed that headlight out with a light polish and then applied the clear coat. That would have gotten rid of that ever so slight haze left behind after the 2000 grit.
I agree. 2000 grit just doesn't cut it - oops!

I use 3000 grit but I power buff the lights with a cleaning polish or cheap, mild polishing compound before the clear coat.

For me, I feel it's a bit faster and a little extra smoothing to the 3K finish before the clear. Results are remarkable!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make certain to use a plastic polish such as "Plastic X" or similar product, formulated specially for plastic products on the label, for the final polish of the clear lens. Car polish, paint polish or metal polishing products most likely contain chemicals that will eventually cloud or yellow lens even beneath the final UV resistant clear coat for plastics. Also try never to use any soaps, bug removers and even car wash soap to clean headlight plastic lens. Clear water with microfiber cloth only rinsed in clear water frequently

1 - 5 of 5 Posts