Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 86 Vette turned 100,000 miles this morning on the way to work. It is a daily driver, needs carpet and interior work, but runs strong...love to drive it.

The paint is real faded and the clear coat is gone on top...to repaint it they want $8-10,000!!! Then, it will "look like new". I don't mind it looking "used", and don't have 8-10 grand to spend on a car for paint.

So, I opted to have MAACO to it for $1100...however, I want to prep (sand) it myself, because I know they won't to the best job. The body is solid and not cracked, scratched, stressed, etc.

I am not sure what grade of sandpaper to use...150 grit wet with plenty of water? help....thanks:cheers:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Paint is paint, talent is talent.

But, the paint guys at Maaco aren't making any money... so I don't think they care that much about their work quality.

I could be wrong, but it seems that the independent places, that truly care about their reputation, do the best work. Often the "owner" is the painter.

There is a big gap between the $1100 Maaco and the $8000-$10000 job.

First instance, I'd bet a $2500 paint job at an independent is 10 times better than the $1100 at Maaco.

Also, I could tell you horror stories about prepping at home, and then sending out the car for paint.

For instance, if one little tiny drop of tree sap hits the fender of your car while bringing it over in primer form. Or, if your neighbor is spraying his flowers 100 feet away with a chemical as you back out of the driveway.... you best hope that Maaco does an amazing job at removing surface contaminents prior to painting, and doesn't just rub them into the primer while giving it a final scuffing.

Bubbling paint is devastating to see 3 months later.... doesn't matter how much of a man you are... you'll CRY!!!!!!!!!

The most important thing is to get references of RECENT cars they have painted (not the cars they "select" to be their references). Tell them you want to talk to 4 people that they've painted cars for in the last month. If they start him'n and haw'n.... run!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do I get the feeling that MAACO is not the place??

I appreciate the input, and I will certainly re-think the MAACO alternative. I am going to look into some more independent shops a opt for a better price.

I still want to prep the body as much as possible myself. I intend to sand off the rest of the clearcoat and then wetsand the entire body before anyone else touches it.

I am concerned about thegrip of sandpaper to use...I don't want to damage the fiberglass be using something too rough...any suggestons?? Thanks:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Re: Why do I get the feeling that MAACO is not the place??

zog said:
I appreciate the input, and I will certainly re-think the MAACO alternative. I am going to look into some more independent shops a opt for a better price.

I still want to prep the body as much as possible myself. I intend to sand off the rest of the clearcoat and then wetsand the entire body before anyone else touches it.

I am concerned about thegrip of sandpaper to use...I don't want to damage the fiberglass be using something too rough...any suggestons?? Thanks:)
I would use 320 for the first sand, then wet sand it with 400 or 600. I used 400 cause we used lots of clear so I could wet sand the clear plus the paint sticks better to 400 than 600(I use 600 on most metal cars though). Use a soft block. NEVER use just the paper & your hands!!!:surprised Hope this helps.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Re: Re: Why do I get the feeling that MAACO is not the place??

84 GRANDSPORT said:
I would use 320 for the first sand, then wet sand it with 400 or 600. I used 400 cause we used lots of clear so I could wet sand the clear plus the paint sticks better to 400 than 600(I use 600 on most metal cars though). Use a soft block. NEVER use just the paper & your hands!!!:surprised Hope this helps.:cheers:
:agree:

Dont use to much pressure. Use 400 wet paper and a sponge block or soft block. Keep a Real sponge in your other hand and keep the water on the area your sanding. Be very careful when doing this because you dont want to create dips.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super

I will start this weekend with the task...I would like to get it painted this winter while the weather is bad...you know, so I won't be tempted to drive it anyway....thanks

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
I would like to know how this project ends up for you. What steps you took , as well as final cost.

And pictures!

Brian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts