Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the four bolts at the corners of the outer housing thinking that would allow me to pull the whole thing out as one assembly (like the picture below) but it's like it's bonded to the header bar. Am I missing something?

Should I just remove the three bolts on each of the two main pivot bearings and pull the inner housing with bezel, etc?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
There are usually 5 bolts...2 in front and 3 by the hood opening. Should not be hard to pull apart, the housings are cast aluminum and corrode. Unless you remove most of the front bumper assembly, you may need to partially disassemble the unit to remove it. A tough job for sure.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are usually 5 bolts...2 in front and 3 by the hood opening.
ah ha! That just might be the problem. Now that I look at the AIM a little closer I see the third hole along the back of the outer housing. I'll get back under there tomorrow and see what that does for me. Thanks, Gary :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
No he should not have much trouble getting it out. the fender is open on one side...:laughing::laughing:

Could not pass on that one Jason.:D

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No he should not have much trouble getting it out. the fender is open on one side...:laughing::laughing:

Could not pass on that one Jason.:D
:laughing: the driver's side might actually be the more difficult one based on the way it's all mangled. Can't even get the headlight to move to the raised position. I'm pretty curious to throw one of these things on the scale and see just how good of a boat anchor it'll make :thud:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can tell you they are not very light. I wish i had done more of a modern mod with the lights on my car.

The previous owner had taken them out and sealed it over so i could have started from scratch and made something unique. Instead I bought some used ones and brought it back to stock.

Definitely take the chrome bumper off as it has 2 L brackets hanging on it that get in the way of going through the grille with the assemblies. Plus you'll want to take the innards apart somewhat. Usually that 3/4 large pivot bolt, the springs, and on other rod that the springs attached to so that the innards will come out.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip guys, that fifth bolt was the ticket. I got the passenger side out in one big chunk. I ended up taking the bezel and headlamps out along with the center bumper support to give enough room to pull the whole thing out the grill openings. If I don't go to fixed headlights I'll probably re-install them in smaller chunks. Especially since I have to replace the pivot bushings anyway. LOTS of play in those.

I put the complete assembly on the scale and it weighed in at 17 lbs. That seems lighter than I had expected just picking it up, but I guess I must be getting weaker :laughing:

·
Registered
52 Posts
You need to clean those things up a bit lol.
I would also suggest new springs if you're ordering parts. I kept 1 set for one side and made up some for the other and it's just not the same. One side is a bit stronger and raises a bit faster due to the springs.

I felt mine came out looking pretty good.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, you did a fine job getting yours cleaned up. I'd like to go with the fixed lights, but most of what I'm seeing on the market is pretty expensive and none of it really appeals to me visually for anything besides a dedicated track car. One guy made his own clear lexan covers on a homemade vacuum mold. I might try something similar. Still rolling ideas around in my brain.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your used assemblies and what did you give for them? I think my driver's side assembly is a total loss. Inner housing, outer housing, bezel, everything looks to be bent. If I have an idea what a replacement will cost that will help with the fixed vs electric pop-up dilemma.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought mine from a CF member for $350+ shipping($30-$40)

About $400 total.
Most of it was there. Was missing springs on one of them. And a bezel and beauty ring was aftermarket and didn't fit right so i replaced it with new ones.

I'm not sure how easy it'll be locating someone who will want to sell only one. Maybe Ebay?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts