Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely some of you have removed the screens from your L98 MAF sensor.

just wondering what tool (s) you may have used to do it, was it cut?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I used a dremel tool with a drill cutting bit. Be careful you don't break the wire

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used a razor knife to cut the screens at the plastic. Then I used fine sand paper to smooth out the burr's. After I was done I sprayed some electrical cleaner to remove the dust. As stated, be careful of the sensor wires.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
Ive used an exacto knife on several, keep in mind the rear screen is basically there to protect the heated filliment from damage but the front screen does 90% plus of the protection as thats the dirrection of airflow, remove the rear screen and your removeng a small bit of restriction, remove both and your increasing flow slightly more, but your taking a far bigger chance on damaging the filliment with the front screen removed, personally, after testing performance both ways ID suggest leaving the front screen.
MAFs cost about $250 you don,t want to be replacing them frequently and the gains are minimal.
btw cutting the heat fins to further increase air flow sounds like a good idea, BUT ITS NOT! the maf WILL eventually burn out its electroniocs if those are removed as it operates far hotter and heat destroys electronics

heres something thats more worth the effort

http://www.thirdgen.org/coolantbypass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts