1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...Do I need to take the door off with the hinge on or off? What is the easier way?...
Index the door hinge bolts on the door for realignment. Most people do this with spray paint.

Remove the door. Leave the hinges on the car.

Careful: A complete Corvette door is heavy and extremely bulky. You might be able to manhandle it by yourself, but a second person is a good idea. You can also make a cradle for the door and "ride" it away from the car on your floor jack.

With the door out of the way, you can get to the hinges. Be careful with the pin on the upper hinge. It comes out very, very close to the edge of the fender.

Replace your bushings and pins.

If you want to replace the hinge spring, now is the time to do it.

Slide the door back on to the hinges and use your index marks for ballpark realignment.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am at work and haven't had a chance to look at the car.
Is the bolts you need to remove on the door located behind the door panel and inside of the door? I thought I read another thread that was where they are located?
thanks

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I am at work and haven't had a chance to look at the car.
Is the bolts you need to remove on the door located behind the door panel and inside of the door? I thought I read another thread that was where they are located?
thanks
Yes. You have to remove the door trim panel to get to them. Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) and take a look.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
are the actual hinge pins typically worn out or is bushing replacement all that is necessary? Is there anything retaining the pins in the hinges or do they just pop out with a little persuasion via hammer?

·
Registered
333 Posts
The pin is serrated under the head which holds it in place.Typically the bushings wear out first but the pin also shows signs of wear. Becarefull installing the new bushings, driving them in with a hammer you risk cracking the bushing. They are brittle. I draw them in using a nut and bolt with a socket.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Be carefull installing the new bushings, driving them in with a hammer you risk cracking the bushing. They are brittle. I draw them in using a nut and bolt with a socket.
good tip. The old bushings were totally shot and basically crumbled in the removal process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts