Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the black painted stuff w/ chrome trim on the interior like the shift and radio bezels? If they're in good shape, but the black is chipped, how do you go about re painting them? Surley spray paint will just scratch off, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine turned out great!
I removed the pieces and first washed them in hot detergent bath, rinsed and air dried. Masked off area's not to be painted with masking tape, trimming with exacto knife. I used both red and gray scotchbrite pads to 'scuff up' the old paint. Any bare area's should be primed first.
I then used rubbing alcohol to clean followed by blast of air. Now ready to paint. Over the years, I've tried dozens of paints in search of the best. I've found Mar-Hydes Satin Black to be best match. It appies evenly, self-levels and provides the correct level of satin/gloss finish that closely matches the orig. Use light coats to achieve final finish, giving 5 - 10 min between coats. It's OK to paint over the brite chrome trim beads, as this makes for easier masking and detail coverage. Just remove paint from these area's with a new razor blade just before it totally dries. Reinstall and enjoy!
Any paint will scratch/chip when impacted, to answer your question.
-Rod

·
Registered
27 Posts
gunnersix8 said:
Is this a rattle can paint? Where can I find it?
Yes, this is a 'spray bomb' paint. I found mine locally at Quality Farm and Fleet. Can you tell I live the 'boon docks'?! :D I bought them out before they went outa biz. I use alot of it, on many diffent app's. Spray bomb paint has evolved into a much better product the past decade.
You should look locally at auto part, paint and general hardware stores for Mar-Hyde. I would think that on .net orders, shipping would be too much.
I also use alot of Eastwood Products spray bomb paints. They not only make some cool 'metal look alike colors', but their quality is superior!
Good Luck! -Rod

P.S. - Here's a quicky link to the product
http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=328

1 - 4 of 4 Posts