Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
Joined a couple weeks ago to look a a buddy, Marks76ray, build thread and havent gotten around to writing an intro. I'm 58 yrs yound and bought my 68 ragtop back in early 80's. I drove it daily for several years then every now and then for several years and parked it in 98. Started rebuilding it couple weeks ago so I may hang around and ask a few questions.
Tom

Attachments

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,360 Posts
Hi Tom. Welcome to DC

·
Registered
72 Posts
greetings in return

Glad to hear from another convertible owner. For me, owning a pleasure car without the ability to lower the top is missing the mark by a good bit, unless you are really into good looking hair.

Hope your path back to pavement goes well.

I bought my car on a lark, knew nothing about the line, always ran english sports cars back when they were cheap, a far distance from vettes of the day. I really had no idea what I was buying.

I decided my TV cable bill was too high, so decided to put that money into hard goods, something that will last. Good plan , until I bought a car instead.

I wanted a convertible and my triple black 03 fit my frame, largest interior space of any corvette, by the way, but this old man ( 66) wildly overestimated my desire to work on cars, and my skills were never real strong anyway, chiltons book in one hand , wrench in the other , would define my abilities pretty well.

My car is all drive by wire, except for the clutch, so my already lax stewardship goals are challenged when problems arise. I mention this only so you can take extra joy that your car is not all GM computer controlled, I am not a cry baby, although this is turning out to be all about me, I just wanted to emphasize you selected a nice starting point.

Fer instance, I left my tonnou cover un latched by accident , leaving the interior light on somewhere , after I put up the top for the evening after I got home. IT's a small design eccentricity , but my carelessness killed my battery .

Now , my computer controlled security system needs to be defeated/bypassed before I can even start to address what I fried in the ignition, trying to start the car. Luckily, I didn't hurt the computer, and can start the car by bypassing the ignition. Oh, and I have a switch on the clutch you have to press to start the car. So no work without dash diving first.

Plus the online hero guy (dadaroo) with the skills to help me died. Most of the guys posting electrical C5 info shouldn't, the system is demanding for guys without a factory book and pro level skills. I guess that's true of all the computer stuff today.

I knew I wanted to learn the system, so didn't worry too much about breaking something I wanted to know how to fix.

Stupendously, colossally, stupid decision. Good thing I have deep experience with stupid errors. It's just a gdang shame I have such pitiful computer and electronic skills. I fear frustration led to anger, and of course, a poor decision. what else?

I trust you can handle frustration more effectively. And if you do get problems, you can be happy they are not computerized.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Welcome nafarmboy, :cheers:

You and that Vette have some history :thumbsup:

Plenty of Vette experts here to brain pick from, keep us posted on your rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts