Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy, I'm Nvts.

My dad picked up a '68 way back in '73, and has had it mostly in the garage in WI. The car has about 46K miles on it, and I believe only a few hundred on it since the motor got a rebuild.

My dad passed away late in '05, and mom sent the car from WI down here to Austin. I was hoping that it didn't need much work, but it's forty years old, and rusty, and didn't get much lovin' when dad had it. I don't know much of the history of the car either. There are quite a few things that are wrong, many of which I will need to fix before I can get it inspected so I can drive it around. Including, but not limited to...
  • Parking brakes are not installed, or even usable. ( Fixed with Rear Susp rebuild)
  • The Wiper vacuum system isn't working (Fixed. Forgot what I fixed though)
  • The reverse lockout isn't working, and I'm worried about messing up and going into reverse instead of 1st ;) (I think it works fine, I just wasn't used to it at the time)
  • The weatherstripping is basically rotted out, so I can't let it get wet
  • I'm 6-2, and can't really fit under the wheel to shift correctly.(Rough problem to have, I know)
  • The rear window on the convertible top is oxidized or something, making it a nice orange color, and has a large slice in it.
  • Rust, rust, rust, rust, rust, and more rust
  • I'm fairly sure there is more stuff that I'm forgetting.
It's not all bad though.
  • I believe it's all matching numbers, other then the paint job 988-Cordovan Maroon w/ Standard Black Vinyl
  • The price was quite agreeable (Free, mom even paid the shipping from WI to TX)
  • The engine sounds great. I had let it sit the last year, and it started (relatively) right up
  • There are thousands of people that are willing to help me out (on the internet) :partyon:
It didn't have any brakes, so I rebuilt the rear calipers, and took it for a couple mile ride. The rear end made a few noises, and I looked around back there, and found two fairly bad issues.
  1. The passenger rear caliper was rubbing the rotor ( Fixed with Rear Susp rebuild)
  2. One of the Ujoints looked like this, making a really nice racket :laughing: ( Fixed with Rear Susp rebuild)
With the nice coating of WI rust, it takes me weeks to take off bolts. When I tried to get the rear calipers back on and found it rubbed the rotor, I had some folks come look at it, and no one could tell what part was broke, so I kind of stopped messing with it for around a year. This last week, I decided that I should just take off the trailing arm, and get it rebuilt. At least then I'll know the caliper bracket and the bearings and such are all good, and if it still rubs, I'll get a new caliper. If it still rubs then.... well, I'll lose it, I guess.:smack

I have a good book knowledge of how cars work, but never was much of a mechanic. I don't have a whole lot of the cool tools, and don't really have the garage setup that would help out. Or the money sitting around to fix things, or get a better setup.

I promise to search around a bit before I post questions, so that should help at least a little ;)

Repairs and Notes

Fixed (at some point)
Replaced a bunch of stuff during the rear end rebuild
Replaced Ignition switch
Replaced Carb
Replaced Starter
Replaced Water Pump with standard one. Had a long one.
Replaced Fuel Pump
Replaced hood support bar
Replaced Starter
Replaced Wiper pump
Replaced Ignition switch
Replaced Engine (starter) wire harness
Replaced Value Covers with non standard chrome ones from Gary
Replaced Passenger grill
Got half a seat belt
Flushed the radiator
Fixed a couple interior lights
Fixed the reverse lights (the dohicky on the trans with not attached. Got new dohicky linkage and soldered new wires to it to create a harness.)
Disassembled the rear storage compartments apart
installed a power antenna

Speedo doesn't work (fixed somehow)
Tach cable rattle (think I fixed it, or it no longer bothers me)
My hood release isn't working (must have fixed it, it seems to work ok now)
Front bumper needs to be straightened. (got a replacement one that also needs to be straightened)
missing screws on wiper vent panel thing (screws added)
missing screws on the headlight bezel (screws added)
Seat belt light does not turn off (big whoop, I know) (I'm too used to the modern way of things, old timers had to manually turn it off. The horror!)
need some headlight adjusters (Fixed)
Radio does not quite work ( pulled it out, and it works less now)
Pass front blinker doesn't work ( Fixed. Issue with rusty connectors )

Garys To Do list...

unless I missed something you said my repair list is....

==================================================
Still To Do
==================================================

Alternator
oil switch
Check if the Turn Signal cam is broke.
A/C is gone
Wrong fan
missing fan shroud
extra parts in engine compartment
something about the coil
all the brackets in the engine
Engine wiring is just scary in general
The air filter is wrong (think that is what you said)
Making the tubes from the valve cover (that are wrong anyway) not work
the door hinges rub the body
clutch is too high
I only have partial acceleration :crazy:
All interior screws
Leaks oil a little (But no more Diff fluid!!! :) )
My parking brake console is fubar
the back storage is messed up
The color of the wires going to the battery. Red to ground :thud:
Need new exhaust system
Front bumper needs to be straightened.
Likely need helicoil on exhaust / header bolt
The headers are wrong
Thats ok, I can't bolt it down anyway, as there are funky bolts where the pins should be :laughing:
My vert window has a big split, and is quite reddish from the years.
Front bumper needs to be straightened.
The electrical tape holding the steering column together is about to go! :laughing:
Small crack in front windshield
Radio does not quite work
missing wiper turn switch under steering column

Nice to do
New carpet set (intructions) 284.95
plus the normal bodywork / paint that would come near the end.

Did I miss anything? :surprised

But..... In spite of all that stuff not working or being wrong the is one thing that works just fine.

The clock. :rolling:

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Welcome to DC :thumbsup:

Sounds like you got yourself a nice C3 there. Having fun getting it back to perfect running order is only second to driving it, enjoy it! The C3 Tech section is full of some great owners, plenty of folks willing to help out.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
gotta love those chrome bumper sharks, but damn dude. You've got your work cut out for ya!

Feel free to start some threads over in the C3 section. We're always happy to help a guy out, and the pics you've been taking really make it easier for us to understand your issues :thumbsup: Lets have a look at your list of issues:

Parking brakes are not installed, or even usable.
Sounds like the trailing arms are in for a rebuild, so new SS P-brakes might be in order.

The Wiper vacuum system isn't working
The weatherstripping is basically rotted out, so I can't let it get wet
The rear window on the convertible top is oxidized or something, making it a nice orange color, and has a large slice in it.
My wiper door and weather stripping are in decent shape but I still don't get her wet very often. You can probably put these on hold until the very end.

The reverse lockout isn't working, and I'm worried about messing up and going into reverse instead of 1st
That's a valid concern, but if I'm not mistaken this should be a fairly simple fix. I haven't been through my transmission yet, but there are plenty of guys around here that will be able to help!

I'm 6-2, and can't really fit under the wheel to shift correctly.(Rough problem to have, I know)
I hear ya man. I'm about 6'3" and T/T column was on my list of must-haves when I was looking for my car. They reduced steering wheel diameter by an inch going from '68 to '69, so getting a 15 or 14 inch wheel will give you some more knee room.

Rust, rust, rust, rust, rust, and more rust
this will likely be your biggest issue. The pictures make it look pretty nasty, but it's tough to tell if the rust is threatening any structural integrity. Is it all on the surface or are there holes in the frame? When you tap on the windshield frame firmly does rust dribble out the bottom?

As you've noticed there are plenty of online resources, so check those out but feel free to hang out in the C3 section and ask lots of questions!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a good book knowledge of how cars work, but never was much of a mechanic. I don't have a whole lot of the cool tools, and don't really have the garage setup that would help out. Or the money sitting around to fix things, or get a better setup.
I'll give you a $1000.00 to take it off you hands, and buy you the dinner
of your choice before returning home. :thumbsup: Trust me she'll be in good hands,
my '81 needs a playmate. :D

Oh! And Welcome to the forums. ;) :D :D

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Welcome to DC your in the right place...

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I feel your pain!
Except for the rust (mine had minor surface rust on the frame), mine was nearly a basket case. I'm 2 yrs into her, and lovin' it!!! Just take your time, post for help in the C3 section, and "Git - R - Dun".

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
thats the joy of owning a c3 sometimes there is work to be done on them but you will enjoy it when its done i bet:thumbsup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
WELCOME!!! Hope to see you at the local shows when you get her street worthy!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Welcome aboard. Enjoy !!!! :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts