Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 2005 C6 vette for a little over a year now - no huge problems until last week, when my HUD started going nuts. The CEL started coming on every once in a while, along with the ABS light, traction control light, the little lock symbol on the bottom left.

The digital readout has been saying things like "Service Fuel System", "Service Traction Control", "Shocks Inoperative", "Service Active Handling System", and something else about the ABS.

I found it kind of odd that it all started happening at the same time and attributed it to the BCM or some other electrical problem, but then thismorning I parked my car, came out to start it up again, and it choked - like it was trying to turn over, I heard the starter going, but it wasn't turning over, until the third time I tried.

So I drove it straight home and now it's sitting while I figure out where to bring it. In the meantime, I'd like to ask if anyone has encountered this kind of problem(s) before, and what I can look forward to once I bring it into the shop.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Engine malfunction

When I had similar problems to yours, "Junkman" suggested I had a bad battery...he was right...no problems since replacing it.......

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Unfortunately, modern cars are very sensitive to electrical issues and it creates all kinds of gremlins. Also unfortunately, AutoZone testers are only so good.

You say its a 2005. Original battery?

Junkman will chime in more, but I seriously doubt that all of a sudden, you were having ALL those problems AND a hard start after a year of ownership and no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now the car just won't start, sometimes with the dash not lighting up at all, I even got locked in my car and had to reach around and manually open the door with the pull-tag. New battery doesn't fix it. Waiting for the tow truck now

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Oh man, :thud:

Taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey m1d,

I know that Junkman is going to post in with excellent suggestions, he's great!

If you do decide to go to the dealership, please let me know. I can help out there.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There is a red wire that runs to the fuse box in the engine bay. Make sure that it is tight. I believe it is a 8mm or 10mm nut. I had the exact same problems with my 05'. If that doesn't help check the grounds to the frame on the passenger side right by the same fuse box. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Corvettes have a defect where the battery connector oxidises seriously. On the + if my memory serves me well.

If you don't put grease on the connector it will create electrical contact issues.

I had to replace mine before I noticed the issue.

On a side note, if your battery is from 2005, you can replace it. Mine reads over 13V when charged.

Do you have a telescopic steering wheel?

:cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Corvettes have a defect where the battery connector oxidises seriously. On the + if my memory serves me well.

If you don't put grease on the connector it will create electrical contact issues.

I had to replace mine before I noticed the issue.

On a side note, if your battery is from 2005, you can replace it. Mine reads over 13V when charged.

Do you have a telescopic steering wheel?

I am still on my orginal 2005 battery at 50,000 miles. Had it load tested and it passed. My readings are from 13.9 to 14.5 if I remember correctly.
I don't have HUD or navigation. I have kept the options to a minimal getting only the automatic A4 trans, 3.15 rear end and F-55 suspension.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
I am still on my orginal 2005 battery at 50,000 miles. Had it load tested and it passed. My readings are from 13.9 to 14.5 if I remember correctly.
I don't have HUD or navigation. I have kept the options to a minimal getting only the automatic A4 trans, 3.15 rear end and F-55 suspension.
You probably should check the cable connector to the battery and I would try with a new battery.

Voltage is not the only indicator of a good or bad battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, the towtruck showed up but refused to tow the car because of how low it is. Right after that convenient discovery was made, a guy walking out of AutoZone came by to ask what was up.

He ended up spending more than 6 hours helping me troubleshoot that night, and then continued to help me throughout this past week.

Stuff we did:

• Replace cables and terminals (got the car starting)
  • Replace battery (prevented the errors from showing up for ~5 minutes after start)
  • Replace alternator (prevented errors from showing up for ~30 minutes)

It seems there's a discrepancy between the voltage at the battery, and the Ignition Voltage at the ECM - they're different by about half a volt. We're thinking this variance could be causing the error codes to trigger, but he's in the middle of digging into chevy literature before we continue troubleshooting.

Needless to say, I got incredibly lucky that someone so knowledgeable showed up in the nick of time to help me out.

If we make any more discoveries, I'll post up. Thanks for the tips all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Needless to say, I got incredibly lucky that someone so knowledgeable showed up in the nick of time to help me out.
I'll say, enough to make one beleive in angels. :thumbsup:

It's somewhat weird this popped up out of the blue, why so many & myself included thought bad battery. C6s do awfuly strange things when supply V isn't stiff.

Good luck, hope you solve this ASAP, many of us want to hear what you find. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts