Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TONY EASTLEY: In Libya government forces have reportedly massacred protesters in the country's second city of Benghazi.

Libyan security forces, backed by African mercenaries, are said to have fired indiscriminately into crowds as they gathered to protest against the regime of Libyan leader, Muammar Gaddafi.

While there's been international condemnation of the brutal crackdown, Libyan state television has denied any existence of the anti-government demonstrations.

Middle East correspondent Ben Knight reports.

BEN KNIGHT: Clearly, Libya's regime is not planning to follow the example of Tunisia and Egypt.

(Sound of gunfire)

In this video posted to YouTube, the sound of gunfire can be heard near protesters in the Libyan city of Benghazi. It is not clear if those are live rounds - but then, confirming anything from inside Libya at the moment is enormously difficult.

Overnight, there were reports that security forces fired on mourners coming home from funerals for those killed the day before and after six days of protests, the death toll in Libya is now reported to be more than 200.

TOM PORTEOUS: What's particularly worrying is the Libyan government seems to be deliberately using live ammunition, in some cases heavy weapons, to attack protesters.

BEN KNIGHT: Tom Porteous is the spokesman for Human Rights Watch.

TOM PORTEOUS: We've got reports from the hospital in Benghazi suggesting that many of those who have been killed have been... display wounds of four centimetres in diameter, which again suggests high-velocity weapons. This is a very serious development and we're afraid that a human rights catastrophe is actually unfolding as I speak.

BEN KNIGHT: But you won't see it on Libyan state TV.

(Sound of woman speaking Arabic)

Instead, it's been running pictures of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi mingling with the people, and of demonstrations in support of his rule.

(Chanting)

But some of its coverage has been somewhat contradictory. Some pictures show quiet, calm streets in Benghazi but others show damaged and looted buildings.

Britain's foreign secretary William Hague, says no one is being fooled.

WILLIAM HAGUE: The world is watching, despite the fact that TV cameras don't have access, that we can't see on your screens images such as we've seen from Egypt and Bahrain, we can't see those things from Libya because it is such a closed society to the international media.

Nevertheless, the world is watching and will find out, in due course, what has happened there and I think we have to increase the international pressure and condemnation.

BEN KNIGHT: But the problem in Libya is that what the rest of the world thinks doesn't really matter. While an Egyptian, or Bahraini might take a call from the White House, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi doesn't have to and nor does Iran's president - and not surprisingly, it's both Libya and Iran that have been most brutal in putting down the wave of protest as it crashes on their own shores.

And the Bahraini ruling family is clearly feeling the pressure. It is the home of the US navy's fifth fleet and it has been sharply criticised by its patron. The king is now offering negotiations with the protesters who have taken over the capital's main square. Protesters like Amar-al Mubarak.

AMAR AL-MUBARAK: We slept on wet ground, the weather is so cold, we slept with nothing on the ground, just our clothes we wear right now.

BEN KNIGHT: Bahrain's opposition is now preparing for those negotiations. It seems unlikely that Bahrain's king will fall in the same way that Hosni Mubarak did, or Zine Abidine Ben Ali - but Bahraini protesters are demanding a proper constitutional monarchy, and they may be about to get it.

This is Ben Knight reporting for AM.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3143885.htm

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
The terrorist Kadaffi is on his way out...and I hope it's in a pine box. The oil markets will be unsettled and gas prices will go up...more than worth it to get rid of that scum.:thumbsup:

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
There's also rumor that fighter jets have bombed protestors. I'm all for us staying out of other nations' business and letting things run their course, but if indeed true, we should do something to stop that ****. IF true. According to recent articles, two Lts./Colonels had indeed been ordered to bomb them. Rather than bomb the protestors they disobeyed the orders and defected to Malta instead.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should we step in ? What would have to happen for you to say... go in ? How many would have to die ? How high would fuel prices have to rise... before you gave your blessings ?

·
3,813 Posts
Should we step in ? What would have to happen for you to say... go in ? How many would have to die ? How high would fuel prices have to rise... before you gave your blessings ?
At this point undecided, and not really for me to decide anyway. There's killings everyday all around the world. Can't be all things to all people. But there's a drug war going on right now that will inevitably (and already has, to an extent) spilled over into TX and people are worried about f'in gas prices? Really? Glad to know people have the priority of wanting cheaper gas prices rather than protecting our own citizens.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if fuel prices went to $12 a gallon... the world goes in to depression... and we can't protect our citizens ? What then, Mr. Hypersensitive ?

·
3,813 Posts
What if fuel prices went to $12 a gallon... the world goes in to depression... and we can't protect our citizens ? What then, Mr. Hypersensitive ?
Mr. Hypersensitive? wow, you pegged me there. lol. You're not only a political savant, but you're a comedian too?

Mr. Genius, I'm quite certain that gas will reach a theoretical $12 a gallon because we didn't (hypothetically) go help Libya. Death to the world over $12 gallon gas.

Oh, and you just proved my point: "And the prevalence of exaggeration, paranoia, and pessimism by the vast majority on the right....... is astonishing." I guess sometimes leftisms are right.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't go getting bent out of shape because I pointed out your stage one thinking.

Listen, little brother... I don't know where it is you are going with all this. But, I was just asking simple questions. They were just running through my mind. I was simply wondering what some, thought. I'm not attempting to solve the worlds problems... they are just questions. Relax. ;)

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
The terrorist Kadaffi is on his way out...and I hope it's in a pine box. The oil markets will be unsettled and gas prices will go up...more than worth it to get rid of that scum.:thumbsup:
:agree:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If only there was an international organization which used troops and funds from around the world to deal with situations like this. Then we could help fund and supply that organization instead of shoulder the entire load of world policeman by ourselves.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah ! If only there was. Then again... they would probably under the thumb and as corrupt as those they would purport to be exist against and reason for being, in the first place.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
If only there was an international organization which used troops and funds from around the world to deal with situations like this. Then we could help fund and supply that organization instead of shoulder the entire load of world policeman by ourselves.
There was once the country called the United States of America, and at one time most countries were concerned what we thought, then we elected this hope change guy and now nobody cares what the US thinks.

Obama is sitting back and waiting for the French to attack Kadafi and save the day :D

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Yeah ! If only there was. Then again... they would probably under the thumb and as corrupt as those they would purport to be exist against and reason for being, in the first place.
That still isnt a reason the US must stand alone against Gaddafi.

There was once the country called the United States of America, and at one time most countries were concerned what we thought, then we elected this hope change guy and now nobody cares what the US thinks.

Obama is sitting back and waiting for the French to attack Kadafi and save the day :D
Actually, leading up to the war in Iraq the UN ignored the US's requests to remove Saddam. I would argue they stopped listening to us way before Obama was president. Dare I say it, they stopped listening to us during the Bush II presidency.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Can we bomb libya while they are bombing libya?:D

maybe nobody would notice us......:D

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

Libya accounts for 1% of oil imports to the US
http://www.worldcityweb.com/south-f...ya-accounts-for-less-than-1-of-us-oil-imports

There is no Logical reason this would inflate oil prices in the US

We need to quit butting our noses in other peoples matters and get our asses in gear Repairing the USA that the government has Neglected through their Lack of patriotism

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Libya accounts for 1% of oil imports to the US
http://www.worldcityweb.com/south-f...ya-accounts-for-less-than-1-of-us-oil-imports

There is no Logical reason this would inflate oil prices in the US

We need to quit butting our noses in other peoples matters and get our asses in gear Repairing the USA that the government has Neglected through their Lack of patriotism
1% will have an effect on oil prices, but not a back breaking one. I agree we need to stay out as much as possible. We can't really have any impact on the outcome anyway. But it is very wishful thinking that these Arab despots are going to be replaced by Democracy loving peaceniks. There is no such thing in the middle east. It is always kept under control by one strongman or another.
Libya really isn't my main concern. The biggest worry I have is Saudi Arabia. If this wave rolls into Saudi Arabia, we are in deep **** on oil prices. A doubling or tripling of engery prices over a short period of time will destroy the minor economic recovery we are having.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
1% will have an effect on oil prices, but not a back breaking one. I agree we need to stay out as much as possible. We can't really have any impact on the outcome anyway. But it is very wishful thinking that these Arab despots are going to be replaced by Democracy loving peaceniks. There is no such thing in the middle east. It is always kept under control by one strongman or another.
Libya really isn't my main concern. The biggest worry I have is Saudi Arabia. If this wave rolls into Saudi Arabia, we are in deep **** on oil prices. A doubling or tripling of engery prices over a short period of time will destroy the minor economic recovery we are having.
That all could be changed with 1 phone call Tex

The oil industry despite poisoning the Ocean for 90 Days Straight has no intentions of Re-paying the American people for all the Damage it has done to American Domestic Business

Instead they are seeking any little excuse no matter how small to Inflate price at the pumps, and will continue to this until "We The People" Begin to fight back, through Boycott at the pumps,(Dont buy fuel on Sunday) and begin to Label Fuel as a "Vital Fluid" (like water) that can not be traded or Inflated for profit on the Commodities Market

Also the more E85 we use for Commuting will greatly reduce the need for their over priced heavily taxed product

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
A doubling or tripling of engery prices over a short period of time will destroy the minor economic recovery we are having.
nope.

not even double of energy prices.

Just 4 or 5 bucks a gallon gas will plunge us back into recession.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
That all could be changed with 1 phone call Tex

The oil industry despite poisoning the Ocean for 90 Days Straight has no intentions of Re-paying the American people for all the Damage it has done to American Domestic Business

Instead they are seeking any little excuse no matter how small to Inflate price at the pumps, and will continue to this until "We The People" Begin to fight back, through Boycott at the pumps,(Dont buy fuel on Sunday) and begin to Label Fuel as a "Vital Fluid" (like water) that can not be traded or Inflated for profit on the Commodities Market

Also the more E85 we use for Commuting will greatly reduce the need for their over priced heavily taxed product

The companies that sell gasoline have NO control over the price. No amount of calling will change that. The price is controlled by the producers - most of which are sovreign nations - and commodities speculators - who are spread all over the world, not just America. The problem is that producers only have control of the price as long as they control the production and distribution of the oil. If a revolution removes the leaders of those countries, chaos will ensue, shipping lanes and pipelines might be shut off, and the uncertainty will send the price through the roof. Exxon, Shell, etc. have absolutely nothing to do with any of that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts