Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Today I was planning on posting a nice thread on my ZZ4/TKO 600 install. Let me first say that the packaging was excellent, the instructions were straight forward, and the parts in the kit look to be top notch. I especially like their Sidewinder Shifter.
Here is a pic of the completed install. I love it.

But its the service after the sale that this story is about. Specifically a rude phone call i received today from someone at Hurst. Let me explain.
After lots of research, I decided on Hurst Driveline conversions for my TKO based on a couple reasons. First, I have seen their reps answer various questions on various boards, and i didn't read any negative posts about them like you routinely do with others companies. So after saving for an eternity, (my Navy pay is great, but not that great!) I was ready to bite the bullet.
My wonderful Dad gave me a rather large gift certificate to Summit Racing for Christmas, so since they sell the Hurst kits, I decided to order the kit through Summit instead of going directly through Hurst. My first mistake.
The kit was drop-shipped straight from Hurst Driveline Conversions. Again, packaging was top notch. Right on top was all the documentation including a driveshaft dimension worksheet which starts with this paragraph:

"Please review and complete this form to provide us with the correct measurements for your new driveshaft. When complete, sign at the bottom and fax to Hurst Driveline Conversions. As soon as we receive this form we will have your driveshaft built and sent out promptly."

So I took the measurements, filled out the paperwork, and faxed the sheet to Hurst. Fast forward to this morning. Hurst calls me and states they wont provide the driveshaft because I bought the kit from Summit and not from them! I politely asked him to explain why, since I bought a HURST DRIVELINE CONVERSION product. His response was they just wont do it. He started to (politely) describe how I can modify my current driveshaft. At this point, I was ready to give up so I asked if could just pay for the new driveshaft, and his response was no, they couldn't do that either. Now I am extremely frustrated (I just spent 3800 bucks on a transmission kit and didn't get the driveshaft when I could of ordered the same thing somewhere else for a little less and had a driveshaft.) So I asked him how they could stay in business with practices like this?

He hung up on me.

I just sent a long email to Summit's Customer service. I'll wait for their response, but I'm not holding my breath.

In closing, the TKO was a fun install for me and my son, but today's events have really taken some of the fun out of the hobby for me. :down:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
That's horrible. Sorry to hear of the troubles, and I hope Summit steps in and makes it right. Their customer service is pretty good from my experience.

Also, look into some of your local shops that may specialize in custom length drive shafts. You'll save on shipping and without the Hurst brand name you might save some coin.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
wow, what a weird deal. Why would they have their products available through Summit if they don't want people to buy them that way? :crazy:

Hope you get it all worked out and they take care of you. As a side note, the chassis is looking great :thumbsup:

Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, I would be pretty angry withy Summit also. If they didn't make it extremely clear that this would happen.

I will remind myself to very wary to buy anything from either of these companies until I hear what resolution you get.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Sounds like Summit and Hurst have some things to work out with their agreement.

Hurst should be obligated though, since that form had very clear instructions and was included with the kit you received from Summit.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Sounds like Summit and Hurst have some things to work out with their agreement.

Hurst should be obligated though, since that form had very clear instructions and was included with the kit you received from Summit.
I agree.

Unless Summit's paperwork stated clearly the opposite.

:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts