Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 convertible that I acquired in May. I put a refurbished HVAC control unit in over the summer and it seemed to work fine for A/C and for heat so far but heat has only been used for short trips around town. Last night, we returned from a trip about two hours away and it is winter so had the heater on. I noticed that the face of the climate control unit was very hot to the touch. I mean so hot that you couldn't leave your finger on it for more than a few seconds.

Is this normal? I would not think so. If it is not normal, what might be causing it to heat up? It is a simple plug-in install, although I did just put in a new stereo so had removed it for that install. The stereo was not similarly hot, nor anything else, except for the parts of the bezel that were immediately adjacent to the climate control unit. Curiouser and curiouser . . . Any thoughts?

·
Banned
591 Posts
that is not normal
did it smell funny ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No smell, just hot. I went out in it a couple of hours ago and after only 20 minutes of driving it was getting hot. I need to test it during the daytime when the lights are not on and see if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
No matter what, it shouldn't get hot at all. Who refurbished it?

·
Banned
591 Posts
what I was trying to determine is if it was electrical or possibly a hot air duct disconnected

electrical is obviously more dangerous

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it didn't get hot during a daytime drive today, so it is the bulbs putting off the heat. I've gotten a couple of other responses noting the same thing. So, maybe it is time for an LED conversion. Nothing fancy - just stock appearance but would cut down on the heat.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Well, it didn't get hot during a daytime drive today, so it is the bulbs putting off the heat. I've gotten a couple of other responses noting the same thing. So, maybe it is time for an LED conversion. Nothing fancy - just stock appearance but would cut down on the heat.
You never said who worked on it before or what they did...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Digital Dash Solutions from Connecticut, I think. You order a refurbished unit (display fixed, bulbs replaced, other fixes as necessary) and send them back your core. The unit works fine - it just gets hot.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Ahhh yes. One look at their website tells me that they are the last people I would send anything to. I was going to suggest that you send it back to them but now I probably wouldn't.

In electronics, heat is caused by friction. Since there are no constantly moving parts in your HVAC, the only thing constantly moving is current. It could be that they dropped a blob of solder somewhere inside the unit and this is causing a connection somewhere that it shouldn't. That just a theory but if so, that unit won't be working for long.

·
Banned
591 Posts
:rolling::rolling::rolling:

DDS has an A+ rating with the BBB
and
99.8% rating on Ebay

They must be doing something right

I've used their 50.00 rebuilds w/o ANY issues when it was more than just the typical re-solder to get a display to work

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Well I hope they guarantee their work because that unit needs to be looked at. As for BBB ratings, they are not all that they are cracked up to be. This is real true in my field (computers), as businesses come and go like cockroaches. Blue Hippo, that really big company that had ads all over television was being sued in Florida by the BBB while they had a A+ rating in other states with the BBB. I have extensive knowledge with companies like this as a radio show that I did had a big hand in taking them down.

So much for your BBB ratings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In fairness to the guy who did the refurbishing, I did check several Corvette boards and found no negative comments and a couple of recommendations. The service was quick and easy. It has worked fine except for this.

I'm out of time this break but maybe next weekend I can pull the unit out and open it up and see if there are any obvious problems, such as a "glob" of solder as suggested by Junkman.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I've read about those globs on a few forums. It happens, although the unit usually looses some functionality.

·
Banned
591 Posts
Well I hope they guarantee their work because that unit needs to be looked at. As for BBB ratings, they are not all that they are cracked up to be. This is real true in my field (computers), as businesses come and go like cockroaches. Blue Hippo, that really big company that had ads all over television was being sued in Florida by the BBB while they had a A+ rating in other states with the BBB. I have extensive knowledge with companies like this as a radio show that I did had a big hand in taking them down.

So much for your BBB ratings.
blah blah blah......:laughing:
that is just ONE indicator...

what about EBAY ?

·
Banned
591 Posts
In fairness to the guy who did the refurbishing, I did check several Corvette boards and found no negative comments and a couple of recommendations. The service was quick and easy. It has worked fine except for this.

I'm out of time this break but maybe next weekend I can pull the unit out and open it up and see if there are any obvious problems, such as a "glob" of solder as suggested by Junkman.
DDS has a fine reputation, don't listen to just one guy who has no experience with them:laughing:

You probably won't find blobs but if there an issue, they will take care of it:cheers:

·
Registered
606 Posts

Sounds like someone has a blob for a brain :smack

Think about it, there is nothing but some surface mounted ICs and the motherboard is masked off

IF there was some BLOB then it would short something out and the unit would be BLOB dead nor would the HVAC head work or worse pop a fuse.

The head could get warmer with the heater on or if anything a IC was replaced with one that was not the same as OEM and has a higher current draw.

Instead of guessing or blaming a vendor use a thermal probe and see exactly what the temp is or turn down the dimmer so LCD output is lower and see if temp goes down.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
blah blah blah......:laughing:
that is just ONE indicator...

what about EBAY ?
Wow. No one on eBay has ever been fraudulent or had suspect service or business. I bet NASCAR uses their service every day for their HVAC units, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Banned
591 Posts
Wow. No one on eBay has ever been fraudulent or had suspect service or business. I bet NASCAR uses their service every day for their HVAC units, right? :rolleyes:
Well we used them for our HAULER and a few vettes.....you have zero experience with DDS and then profess to know they are no good ?
buy a vowel:smack

better to be quiet than remove all doubt:laughing:

·
Banned
591 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts