Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I know I have seen this question answered on here but I can't seem to find the thread. My HVAC control unit inside the car is fading. During the day light I can't read the temperature display at all. I remember seeing somewhere that someone had taken the unit apart and soldered some specific wires to repair the problem. I am confident with my soldering ability, I am just looking for the instructions on how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you follow the instructions, its easy. Mine only took about 15 minutes to fix once I removed it.

:cheers:

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys! That's exactly what I was looking for! I'll get it done this weekend or next!!! THANK YOU!

·
Banned
591 Posts
if it's more serious a guy on ebay exchanges them for $100:thumbsup:

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if it's more serious a guy on ebay exchanges them for $100:thumbsup:
Wow! Considering the price of a new one, that is a great deal! Hopefully I will get to fixing this one pretty soon. I am going to be in Phoenix from tomorrow through the weekend, so it might not be until next week that I get a chance to fix it! But I will definitely let you guys know how it went!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rashafaa,

Did you get a chance to try the repair yet? I remember you had another problem with climate control that I have. That being the passenger side control does not function. Did your repairs fix that problem also?

Thanx

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rashafaa,

Did you get a chance to try the repair yet? I remember you had another problem with climate control that I have. That being the passenger side control does not function. Did your repairs fix that problem also?

Thanx
Hey there! I actually fixed one part of it yesterday. As strange as this may sound, it worked perfectly. I was not a believer that charging the refrigerant would make my driver side vents be cold. It just didn't make sense to me that th passenger side was cold and the driver side was not. Well, anyway I went ahead and added some refrigerant to see what happened. To my disbelief, the system took a full 12oz can of R-134a. So, I was amazed because I would think if the system was that low then none of the vents should have been cold. Well, after that $9 fix, I have 40 degree air coming from all vents when sitting at an idle in about 90 degree weather. So, as strange as it sounds, it did in fact fix my problem. I will move on to repairing the hvac head unit here in the next few days. Also, just a pointer, I did have to connect and disconnect the low side connector to the gauges a few times before the system started taking any refrigerant. I guess it's a difficult one to get connected perfectly.

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update!! I used the instructions to repair the dim light. I did not use a cold soldering iron because all I had was a normal (hot) one. Anyway, the fix was relatively easy and it worked fantastically! I can't thank you guys enough for that info. I fixed that problem with nothing but a soldering iron and some solder that I already had in the garage. This was not an inexpensive fix......it was a FREE fix!! Thank you guys!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts