Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a conversion on my vette, going from auto to 4 spd Muncie. Ive been reading up on it, and have learned that using a hydraulic clutch is easier to install than a mechanical clutch. I know Keisler makes a hydraulic clutch but someone told me it wouldnt work on a muncie. Anyone know if there is a hydraulic clutch kit for a muncie? If not, where to find a complete kit for a mechanical clutch.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
what are you looking for? a master slave combo that actuates a standard throwout fork or a master w/ a hydraulic throwout bearing?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/clutch-link-kit.asp

Half way down the page they list mechanical clutch linkage kits for C3's.
They sell a hyd kit, but it says it is for the Tremec.

UHH....ok, serious question....WTF dif could it make to the tranny as to who/how is releasing the clutch??? it's either clamped tight snug up, or it's disengaged.....NO??

I just gotta be right on that, don't make no sense otherwise....

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
UHH....ok, serious question....WTF dif could it make to the tranny as to who/how is releasing the clutch??? it's either clamped tight snug up, or it's disengaged.....NO??

I just gotta be right on that, don't make no sense otherwise....

The original post was a question regarding the installation of a hydraulic clutch. His second choice was a mechanical clutch. I was just trying to answer his question.

Maybe someone else will know if the Tremec hydraulic cylinder will fit on the muncie.

I see PAW (performance auto warehouse) lists a hydraulic cylinder for the Muncie. It's on PG 625 and it is made by Mcleod. Looks like it runs $350.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
are we talking a slave cylinder here (operating clutch fork) or a throwout bearing? A throwout bearing is specific to the trans input shaft and the input shaft bearing cover (attaches there), the slave cyl. is specific to the bellhousing. Maybe of these bellhousings can (be made to) use the same slave cyl.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
are we talking a slave cylinder here (operating clutch fork) or a throwout bearing? A throwout bearing is specific to the trans input shaft and the input shaft bearing cover (attaches there), the slave cyl. is specific to the bellhousing. Maybe of these bellhousings can (be made to) use the same slave cyl.

That's what has me going also....the clutch fork involves the bell housing pressure plate...the tranny got nutting to do with it??

can't see it....anyone??

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
A hydraulic cylinder replaces the clutch fork and all the linkages. It fits over the input shaft of the trans against the case.

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/clutch-link-kit.asp
HUmm, I may be confused with another car, but an old associate's ZR1 vette needed some clutch/tranny work...and as I recall the slave cyl was just outside acting in place of a bell crank setup.....

I could be thinking of another car....

this is first I hear of a slave cyl being a new fangled contraption acting directly on the T/O bearing backing up on the b housing....

as in why bother??

·
Registered
501 Posts
been using internal hyd's in circle track cars for years...excerpt below is from ''speedway motors'' online catalog...abt $150...many other circle track parts vendors have similar, some lower priced...numerous variations are available, fancier ones go abt $200...will need a -4 hose with AN end fitting and adapters to your clutch master/ piping, $40-$50 should cover those.

from ''speedway motor'':

STOCK CLUTCH HYDRAULIC THROWOUT BEARING
Stock clutch hydraulic throwout bearing for stock style Chevy clutches only. Install simply by replacing one bolt from the front of the transmission with one of the provided studs, then shim to fit. Use 3/4" master cylinder.

HYD T/O BEARNG/STOCK CLUTCH, AN4

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
HUmm, I may be confused with another car, but an old associate's ZR1 vette needed some clutch/tranny work...and as I recall the slave cyl was just outside acting in place of a bell crank setup.....

I could be thinking of another car....

this is first I hear of a slave cyl being a new fangled contraption acting directly on the T/O bearing backing up on the b housing....

as in why bother??

They are 2 different types of hydr. clutches, a slave cyl. and a throwout bearing. The LT5 w/ ZF6 uses a slave cyl setup. A lot of european cars use the throwout bearing. IMO that's a much nicer setup, more compact, no fiddling with that fork.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies guys. Something like the keisler hydraulic kit is what im looking for. Im gonna get in touch with them and see if the kit can be used on other trannies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts