1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Are you using the T56 that came with the LT1? Or a newer (LS1, Viper, or Magnum) T56?
If you are using the LT1 T56, then that might not be a bad deal since you cannot fit the factory pull style clutch/slave setup.
You may be able to piece your own kit together for less...
The clutch master cylinder from a mid 80's 1Ton GM pickup is almost a direct fit, and pretty cheap. All you have to do then is find the proper throwout bearing.

The hot rod hydraulics setup is very nice, I have that setup on my '55 chevy with an LT1 T56 as well.

Heres a thread I made about putting a hydro. clutch in a vette:
Obviously you would be running a different slave cylinder setup than mine, but the master cylinder would be the same
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123775

·
Registered
179 Posts
My T56 came from an 06 GTO so I just used the LS1 TO bearing. I used a Tilton clutch MC and plumbed it up. Works great. I don't know if it will work with the older style T56 though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the stock t56 from the 97 camaro.

Nice write up on your piece together job on the Vette. What year Vette was that? The firewall looks identical to mine more or less. My car is a 73

So the master cylinder you put mounts right to the firewall and comes in at just the right angle it seems.

My t56 uses the slave to actuate the clutch fork... any ideas on where to get the proper slave cylinder? The stock one bolts to the bell housing so I'm assuming an aftermarket one would do the same.

I have the stock master/slave unit from the Camaro and it would probably work fine, but the way the master mounts are the angle into the firewall is way off.

I would just fab a bracket, but I don't have the equipment to do that.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
People have made brackets to make the F-body and other master cylinders work, but I dont see the point unless you are using the stock slave or hydro T/O bearing and you cant properly match the GM truck master cylinder to it.
I highly doubt the stock LT1 T56 pull style slave cylinder will fit without hitting the tunnel. You will probably have to find a hydraulic T/O bearing that works with that trans.
OR, sell that trans and buy a LS1 style T56 and a factory hydro T/O bearing and use an adapter bellhousing.

My car is a '69, so our firewalls should be the same. If you do end up using the GM truck master cylinder, buy a duralast branded one. The shaft is thicker, making it the perfect size for the threads you need to cut into it (7/16 I think. It should be fairly obvious what size you should cut.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a template for making an aluminum bracket to bolt up a Wilwood master cylinder. PM me if you would like it.

To do mine over again I would run the Wilwood MC with reservoir built in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The slave cylinder for my T56 does not pull the fork... it pushes it. I had a 96 Trans Am with the same drive train and it worked the same way..

The fork for this trans pulls on the TO bearing, but the slave pushes the fork. So is this what you mean by "pull style".. that the fork pulls the TO? That being the case I think you might be right about fitting... I have put the motor and trans in for a mock fit, but I did not have the slave attached to the bell housing when I did this... damn ... I'll have to take a look.

I have a template for making an aluminum bracket to bolt up a Wilwood master cylinder. PM me if you would like it.
Fuelle74 - did you use the stock slave with your set up? I assume by your screen name you have a 74.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am running an aftermarket hydraulic throwout bearing on a T5 so I can't help you there.

Yes I have a 74 that is running a TPI350 and GM T5 WC transmission.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the tranny mounted and the slave will clear the tunnel... there's actually plenty of room. I've used stock motor mounts for the LT1 and they are even allowing me to use the stock crossmember with some slight mods.

If I get the truck master from mid 80's 1Ton GM pickup, can I adapt the pressure line to work with the stock slave? I'm not too familiar with the fittings I would need to get the stock line into a different master. Or if the truck master would provide the right throw to the slave.

Thoughts?

I may end up biting the bullet and paying the 700 bucks for the custom kit, but damn that's some coin I could use other places.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I converted my 71 to hydraulic, I just picked up parts that would fit and work, I think I have less than $20 in mine. Any shop that does break lines can make a line with any fittings you need, mine was SAE to metric. I think the line was $4.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I converted my 71 to hydraulic, I just picked up parts that would fit and work, I think I have less than $20 in mine. Any shop that does break lines can make a line with any fittings you need, mine was SAE to metric. I think the line was $4.
That's awesome news... but how did you research/find/know what parts you could retrofit to work?

What is your set up? Same tranny as mine? If so, then what parts did you use for the conversion?

·
Registered
366 Posts
A clutch master cylinder from a 85 1-ton truck fits at the right angle. You will have to modify the shaft to the correct length.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A clutch master cylinder from a 85 1-ton truck fits at the right angle. You will have to modify the shaft to the correct length.

:cheers:

Rick B.
Cool Rick... thanks!

So I can get myself one of those masters, cut the stock line at the old master (or remove fittings? Are they the same?), connect the line to the master from the 85 truck and use the stock slave for the 97 T56? This will give the proper throw after modding the shaft?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The fitting on the master cylinder is metric. Napa sells a conversion fitting to a 3/16 brake line. Bring in the slave cylinder and try to match up a fitting to that.
If I recall, the truck master cylinder is 11/16" bore. I think I used a 3/4" bore master cylinder on my '55 chevy with the stock LT-1 slave. It might be close enough.
Glad to hear the LT-1 style slave cylinder fit :thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fitting on the master cylinder is metric. Napa sells a conversion fitting to a 3/16 brake line. Bring in the slave cylinder and try to match up a fitting to that.
If I recall, the truck master cylinder is 11/16" bore. I think I used a 3/4" bore master cylinder on my '55 chevy with the stock LT-1 slave. It might be close enough.
Glad to hear the LT-1 style slave cylinder fit :thumbsup:
Was the 3/4" bore master from another vehicle?

So for the line fitting I should use the metric line from the master and try to change the fitting on the slave?

What I was reading about the fittings on the stock slave is that you can remove and change them, but I've never done that before.

Yeah, I got a little stressed when someone (you?) mentioned the slave may hit the tunnel... so that was a little relief. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Was the 3/4" bore master from another vehicle?

So for the line fitting I should use the metric line from the master and try to change the fitting on the slave?

What I was reading about the fittings on the stock slave is that you can remove and change them, but I've never done that before.

Yeah, I got a little stressed when someone (you?) mentioned the slave may hit the tunnel... so that was a little relief. :cheers:
The 3/4" bore master was the one supplied in the kit from hotrod hydraulics. Ill have to double check on that size though as Im not 100% it was 3/4".

Im not really sure what size the slave fittings will be. It should be easy to figure out if you bring it with you to a napa or similar store.
Post some pictures if you can. :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts