Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install lifters in my engine. In the past I have tried the "soaking" method and the other method that involves putting the lifter in an oil filled pan and pumping the lifter with a pushrod (in a drill press). I have never seen any bubbles rise to the surface with either of these methods. The air that you are displacing, presumably with oil, HAS to go somewhere. Also, the soaking method seems particularly difficult to comprehend, lifters are not permeable and the hole that supplies the lifter with oil is for the most part closed.

Am I missing something. I know people swear by these methods. Anyone have a better method? I was thinking about vacuum bagging them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hydraulic flat-tappets? Nah, I don't see any point in soaking them. A quick dip so the outer shell has oil on it is all that's needed. It's a very good idea to prime the oil pump though so there's oil on all the bearings, galleries, pushrods etc. By priming, I mean running the oil pump with a drill.

Roller lifters are covered with grease so they have to be washed in mineral spirits and oiled before installing.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My Dutch buddy from the Speed / Machine shop had me oil
all the lifters in the truck motor with one of those small oil cans
with the trigger pump on the side. Stick the tip in the small hole
on the side of the lifter and pump till oil runs everywhere.
Must have been a good reason to do so! They're the engine builders.
I did not question. Just did it. :cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
F Tappet or roller, all I have ever done is toss them in place, and tighten the rockers till snug with a bit of friction on the push rod...and leave it...

sometimes about 1/2 turn more...frankly never noticed any differances....lotsa play in hydraulics that's why they there, I suspect...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hydraulic flat-tappets? Nah, I don't see any point in soaking them. A quick dip so the outer shell has oil on it is all that's needed. It's a very good idea to prime the oil pump though so there's oil on all the bearings, galleries, pushrods etc. By priming, I mean running the oil pump with a drill.

Roller lifters are covered with grease so they have to be washed in mineral spirits and oiled before installing.

Now I can beleive that this method works, but it's NOT priming the lifters before installation. I am asking about the instructions that lifter manufacturers ask you to do BEFORE installation. I also think you sould be rotating the engine while priming the pump with a drill.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am getting ready to install lifters in my engine. In the past I have tried the "soaking" method and the other method that involves putting the lifter in an oil filled pan and pumping the lifter with a pushrod (in a drill press). I have never seen any bubbles rise to the surface with either of these methods. The air that you are displacing, presumably with oil, HAS to go somewhere. Also, the soaking method seems particularly difficult to comprehend, lifters are not permeable and the hole that supplies the lifter with oil is for the most part closed.

Am I missing something. I know people swear by these methods. Anyone have a better method? I was thinking about vacuum bagging them.
hyd lifters should NOT be filled with oil before installing because you may not be able to preload them with oil in them. you need to preload the pushrod cup about .020/.030

·
Registered
31 Posts
hyd lifters should NOT be filled with oil before installing because you may not be able to preload them with oil in them. you need to preload the pushrod cup about .020/.030
:agree: :agree: :agree: Pre lube with assembly grease and drop em in....
Eddie

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Back when I was working flat rate at Chevy dealers, nobody did anything other than lube with cam prelube, drop 'em in, then pour a can of EOS over the whole thing. Never had any problems..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Put a little oil on them cause they're gonna get greasy soon enough. I do see the how priming the oil pump can work very well!!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Had to call my buddy about this one...........since I never questioned
him in the first place about this.:huh:

First off.....he said, "You do not have to do this". They do it because
it aids in prelubing the motor prior to initial start up. Will not cause any
inability to preload lifters. They only build High Perf. engines and have
never had a problem caused by prelubing lifters.

I guess it would just come down to personal preference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts