Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 base manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum I been on other ones and left them due to rudeness but I'm building a c4. I'm building a 427 with a nasty cam and know I won't have enough vacuum for my brakes. I know alot of people do hydro swaps on the c3 and done my research on them but wonder if anyone done one to a c4. I need a new MC and booster anyways due to them both leaking and thought about the hydroboost swap. I even thought of doing electric vacuum pump at 25mh which states its more than enough for brakes but wonder if I need a small tank for it. Any advice will be helpful
BTW it's a 90 c4 manual base that's going to have a 427 small block and yes a small block not big block. It's off a 400 block pushing upper 600s

·
Super Moderator
1,715 Posts
Welcome! Can't help you too much, hopefully someone will jump in with the info you need.
I commend you on your enthusiasm and wish you well with your project.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Priced hydroboost for a 87 F250 cost to much to put into my beater. Looked at it because it has a power stroke and has to run a vacuum pump because it didn’t make enough vacuum to run brakes and hvac.
You are right that a big cam motor may not make enough vacuum to run a brake booster. Hyroboost is a way better system than vacuum boosted brakes by far but cost keeps the big car companies from making it standard equipment. IMHO it would the way to go.
That being said I have never installed hydroboost system so I can’t help you there.

·
Registered
1990 base manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys. I appreciate your comments. With so little info on hydroboosting a c4 and according to my research it really hasn't been done or there's no info about it I done some very careful measurements and decided not to and go with a electric vacuum pump
I feel that task although would be fun do to would be a challenge mainly with the length as the MC would hit the fender unless I look for a smaller hydroboost

·
Registered
1990 base manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did found that site while back but my phone and computer says it's a untrusted site for some reason and paying almost $700 for a hydroboost unit only is kind of ridiculous and a extra 300 for a couple feet of rubber line is out of the world when a custom hydro-line shop quoted me less than 100 for the same lines and 170 for SS braided lines. Something about that site I don't trust and so far found Noone that used them or even knows them

·
Banned
5 Posts
Thank you for your time and consideration.

A large cam engine may not provide enough suction to power a brake booster, and you are correct. Hyroboost is a considerably superior technology to vacuum-assisted brakes, but the high cost prevents major automakers from making it standard equipment. It would, in my opinion, be the best option.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe 454/538hp 4spd of course; 1984 Z51, built 11/83, Blue w/Black Leather factory override..
11,718 Posts
The vacuum canisters capture extra engine vacuum which approximately double the volume of vacuum available, recommended for cars with 14 inches of vacuum or less (Comp Cams). Hydroboost is more costly, and weighty, if you intend to race. JMO.

C'ya
D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do your research, contact, call, ask. They do have a "contact us" on their website.
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum I been on other ones and left them due to rudeness but I'm building a c4. I'm building a 427 with a nasty cam and know I won't have enough vacuum for my brakes. I know alot of people do hydro swaps on the c3 and done my research on them but wonder if anyone done one to a c4. I need a new MC and booster anyways due to them both leaking and thought about the hydroboost swap. I even thought of doing electric vacuum pump at 25mh which states its more than enough for brakes but wonder if I need a small tank for it. Any advice will be helpful
BTW it's a 90 c4 manual base that's going to have a 427 small block and yes a small block not big block. It's off a 400 block pushing upper 600s
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts