Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'll be installing my Hydroboost in the next couple of weeks but before I do, I want to powder coat the cannister a different colour than the standard gold.

I've read in other posts that the cannister is for one use power assisted brakes without the engine running and that it recharges next time the engine is running. If that's the case, is it safe to remove the cannister so that I can powder coat it?

Oh, one really DULL question, once I fit the Hydroboost do I just blank the vacuum port in the manifold?

Thanks...

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Yes just plug the old suck hole in the induction system....

but the canister should not be removed, I understand it has high pressure gas in it....what I told anyway....so I would just paint it,.....

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I've never seen the inside of one, but I've always had the feeling there is a big azz spring inside that gold can with a piston and a gas charge. Not sure but a feeling. Anyway, I'd paint it. and put a plug in the manifold.

:cheers:

·
Registered
512 Posts
That is a nitrogen charged accumulator cylinder! It functions as a backup pressure assist if your pump is not on. Don't remove it to paint.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The canister on mine was actually Blue anodized, instead of the standard yellowish gold. Not sure why. Original application maybe? Went well with my blue 71 though:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
The canister on mine was actually Blue anodized, instead of the standard yellowish gold. Not sure why. Original application maybe? Went well with my blue 71 though:thumbsup:
2 bux, Wal Mart, spray can....case closed....

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
the newer ones are blue, the newest ones on jeeps are blue and twice as long. Do NOT remove it, it's a nitrogen charged accumulator.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the newer ones are blue, the newest ones on jeeps are blue and twice as long. Do NOT remove it, it's a nitrogen charged accumulator.
I went and had a look at mine (still in it's box!) after that TT because I couldn't remember seeing a charging point on it and I thought that if the accumulator was filled with nitrogen for emergency use, there must be a way of recharging it.

I got a bug up my ar$e about it and went looking on the net and found the Hydratech website and on their FAQ page they say it has as much as 1700psi of pressurized PS fluid in there :surprised But apparently there's two types...

babcox.com said:
Back-Up
Similar to the vacuum booster, the hydro-boost is equipped with a backup or reserve in case the source of pressurized fluid is lost. A failure in the power steering system, such as a broken hose, broken power steering pump drive belt, or failed pump, would result in a loss of pressure to both the hydro-boost and steering gear. The hydro-boost uses a high-pressure accumulator to store power steering fluid under pressure in the event of a failure. There are two types of accumulators used, some hydro-boost units use an external accumulator, while others incorporate the accumulator in the power piston. The accumulator could be either of the spring-loaded variety or nitrogen-gas type.
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf030542.htm

·
Registered
910 Posts
I went and had a look at mine (still in it's box!) after that TT because I couldn't remember seeing a charging point on it and I thought that if the accumulator was filled with nitrogen for emergency use, there must be a way of recharging it.

I got a bug up my ar$e about it and went looking on the net and found the Hydratech website and on their FAQ page they say it has as much as 1700psi of pressurized PS fluid in there :surprised But apparently there's two types...

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf030542.htm
The different colored anodized external accumulators stand for different pressured precharges.

They are replaceable once the booster has been properly discharged, but the replacements aren't available to most people.

Your best not to fool with it, but there are billet, stainless or chrome covers available for the accumulators.

:D

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The different colored anodized external accumulators stand for different pressured precharges.

They are replaceable once the booster has been properly discharged, but the replacements aren't available to most people.

Your best not to fool with it, but there are billet, stainless or chrome covers available for the accumulators.

I've seen them - $60 for a chrome "film" cannister :crazy:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Check out "Powerbrakebob" as he is known on a lot of forums. Knows his **** about all types of brake boosters. Company in buss for 50+ years, is supposedly the only non oem authorized to sell new Bosche (Bendix) hydraboost units.

Here's their website. http://powerbrakesonline.com/

Email him about your concerns with the hydraboost.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'll check it out...

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've done some more reading and have my head around it now, thanks again guys.

Now after reading about it, I realise I have the wrong master cylinder fitted - I have one for disc/drum application :thud:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts