Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started the process. Hydroboost unit with mounting bracket is on the way. I hope I didnt get myself into a mod that turns into a complete restoration.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Have you pulled the stock vacuum booster out yet?

That's the hardest part.

Making the lines is the next most difficult part.

The installation is not too bad at all.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats funny, I dont even have the car yet. Car is still in a storage unit in San Antonio. Im having it shipped to FL next month. Im just trying to pro active on my projects. At least the lines are braided and not solid so there is no bending involved. I have found info on fitting sizes for all of the AN type fittings on the pressure sides but what size is the return fitting? I have seen where most people just use a brass fitting and a rubber line but I havent seen anything yet on the size of the return.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Thats funny, I dont even have the car yet. Car is still in a storage unit in San Antonio. Im having it shipped to FL next month. Im just trying to pro active on my projects. At least the lines are braided and not solid so there is no bending involved. I have found info on fitting sizes for all of the AN type fittings on the pressure sides but what size is the return fitting? I have seen where most people just use a brass fitting and a rubber line but I havent seen anything yet on the size of the return.
The return line has no pressure, it is just a slip fit to the pump reservoir and a hose clamp.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

Yeah the return line for the Hydrobooster is just basic 3/8" rubber low pressure return line just like your stock one from the power assist valve to the pump.

In the case of plumbing the Hydrobooster return, you simply 'T' into the stock line and run 3/8" black rubber to the nipple that comes on the Hydrobooster.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Be sure when you T into the power steering return line to have to power steering line stright threw and the hydraboost is T'd in from the side.

You might check VB&P web site they have the instructions posted for the install of their kit.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You can do like GM did with the original HB and use the proper 2 port return pump reservoir and not have to worry about restricting the return.
You can get a rebuilt pump from Autozone for around 45 bucks or the junkyards for the reservoir. Or you can just braze another port on your can.
Late 70's and early 80's 1 tons with a sb engine and HB.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You can do like GM did with the original HB and use the proper 2 port return pump reservoir and not have to worry about restricting the return.
You can get a rebuilt pump from Autozone for around 45 bucks or the junkyards for the reservoir. Or you can just braze another port on your can.
Late 70's and early 80's 1 tons with a sb engine and HB.

That's what I did with mine.

However, it adds work to an otherwise simple install. The old pump then has to be removed, which also means pulley removal and installation, which requires extra tools as well.

Since mine was going on a new engine, the new dual return pump worked great. On a booster swap only, using the old pump is actually easier using the 'T'.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You can just replace the can with the double return can, either bought or modified, no need to remove pulleys and no special tools.
The hydroboost works best when there is no return line restrictions as others have encountered with using a tee.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You can just replace the can with the double return can, either bought or modified, no need to remove pulleys and no special tools.
The hydroboost works best when there is no return line restrictions as others have encountered with using a tee.

I wasn't aware you cold get the bolts all the way out with the stock pulley on the shaft. They'd stop at the pulley before they released the pump body from the can. I have only tried once though, and I had to remove the pump from the engine and the pulley from the pump.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The studs on the back and the pressure port (flow and pressure valve) unscrew, then the can pulls off the back, no need to touch the front.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the return line for the Hydrobooster is just basic 3/8" rubber low pressure return line just like your stock one from the power assist valve to the pump.

In the case of plumbing the Hydrobooster return, you simply 'T' into the stock line and run 3/8" black rubber to the nipple that comes on the Hydrobooster.

Oh ok, I was referring to the nipple on the hydrobooster for the return. All of the pictures I have seen show a brass 90* fitting for the return coming from the unit back to the pump. I didnt know that already came on the unit itself.

·
Banned
119 Posts
i have both the Steeroids R&P and a Hydro Boost and I have found that a needed mod on the power-steering pump is to drill out the orifice to 5/32" this will increase volume, especially at low RPM and will stop "pump catch up" or a pulsing feeling in the steering wheel, compounded by braking action. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
i have both the Steeroids R&P and a Hydro Boost and I have found that a needed mod on the power-steering pump is to drill out the orifice to 5/32" this will increase volume, especially at low RPM and will stop "pump catch up" or a pulsing feeling in the steering wheel, compounded by braking action. :thumbsup:

This is a good idea for Steeroids, as rack systems tend to like more flow. I think they can get a bit overly sensitive though with too much flow.

For stock power assist steering though, I recommend using the valve as it came from the factory. The stock assist valve acts totally different with different flow and pressure specs.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have been wanting to do this mod for several years now. One of these days I will get around to it. I keep reading the threads and learn a little something new.

Will the steering pump on an LS motor be about to keep up with the Steeroids and Hydroboost demands without the stutter mentioned above?

There is a Pick A Part near me that has several of those little Chevy Minivans with units in them. I have been several times there but as of yet, I have not came home with one. Usually when I go it is for something specific and I am in a hurry. Maybe on the next trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts