Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's I'm thinking about getting the Hypretech Programer III, just how good is it and is it worth the money.:cool:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Hi Dirty,
I have never heard a good thing about the hand held programers,maybe for an auto,to firm up the shifts,doesn't really mean the cars any faster though,just shifts harder,but the best programer would be the Predator.The guy at BSM (speed shop) is good at LS1 edit,that would be a better move,plus it's cheaper.I think.It's been a while since i talked to him.
But put the mods you like on first,then do the edit.I will do one in Feb after i swap my rear end.If you do to many mods,you will need the edit anyway,so the programer will be useless.Hope this makes sense.:buhbye:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Power Programer III

Dirty_Red,

I agree with hawaii-5-lo. . . !

I'm running the Powere Programmer III on my 99 C5 now and about the only (REAL) benefit I get out of it is . . . it cuts my cooling fans on sooner. I don't have too much of a need for that at the moment here in Germany, but last summer it worked well. If you go the Power Programer II route you'll have to install a 160o stat as well.

If you're going to do some big MODs like heads, cam, bigger injectors, etc., then you will want to get your ECU reprogramed for sure. . . .

For the money I would say, save it and put it towards a good set of long tube headers. I'm running the FLPs complete system (Headers, CATs & X-Pipe) at the moment, but have a set of "Stainless Works Long Tube Headers" with high flow CATS, and X-Pipe just waiting to be installed. I don the work myself so I just have to find the time to get my Vette into the "Auto Craft Shop".

Hope this helps. . . . good luck !

Cecil Davis
German American Corvette Club
of Baden-Wurttemberg
Heidleberg, Germany
agree: :cheers:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Power Programer III

Dudes,

I can't believe I spelled Corvette wrong in my last post. . . Sorry about that guys. . . Slap me with a tire iron:spanked:

Later,

Cecil Davis
Germany American Corvette Club
of Baden-Wurttemberg
Heidelberg, Germany

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I have a Hypertech that I bought for my 97 (back when it had a good engine). It was ok, but once I started modifying my car it was of little use. Most guys I've talked to say the same thing; the Hypertech, diablo, or other handhelds are good for stock cars, but once you start changing parts they lose their effectiveness. I recently bought a single car copy of LS1Edit software for my laptop. It is FANTASTIC. It comes with a cable to connect your computer's serial port to the ALDL port under the steering column. with LS1Edit, you can change Spark timing and fuel injector pulse timing and duration. Essentially you can tune the vehicle the way you use to be able to tune carberators by changing jets. It costs more (500 bucks) but it will run on any computer running Windows95 or newer. In my opinion it's the best C5 tuning product out there.

·
Banned
591 Posts
moore_rb said:
I have a Hypertech that I bought for my 97 (back when it had a good engine). It was ok, but once I started modifying my car it was of little use. Most guys I've talked to say the same thing; the Hypertech, diablo, or other handhelds are good for stock cars, but once you start changing parts they lose their effectiveness. I recently bought a single car copy of LS1Edit software for my laptop. It is FANTASTIC. It comes with a cable to connect your computer's serial port to the ALDL port under the steering column. with LS1Edit, you can change Spark timing and fuel injector pulse timing and duration. Essentially you can tune the vehicle the way you use to be able to tune carberators by changing jets. It costs more (500 bucks) but it will run on any computer running Windows95 or newer. In my opinion it's the best C5 tuning product out there.
Now I gotta buy a laptop.....:(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hypertech

Hi,
I bought a Programmer III three years ago, because I converted a '99 A4 coupe to the 3.42 axle. Hypertech claims to be able to adjust the settings for a gear change. In fact the Programmer III did nothing else than adjust the speedo. The parameters of the PCM were left unchanged. The result was getting troublecodes (slip in transmission) and denying any responsibility by Hypertech.
In addition I have an issue of the Chevy High Performance magazine from 2001 where they compared the genuine LS1 program to the Hypertech program at a performance tester and got at every RPM range slightly more horses with the original settings.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Re: Power Programer III

davisce said:
Dudes,

I can't believe I spelled Corvette wrong in my last post. . . Sorry about that guys. . . Slap me with a tire iron:spanked:

Later,

Cecil Davis
Germany American Corvette Club
of Baden-Wurttemberg
Heidelberg, Germany
If it happens again we will need to take action...seriously, eidt works for a short period of time after the post. If you need to edit something like that after the edit feature won't work, contact the moderator for the section, we don't charge much.

I fixed it...you know the first one is always free...:laughing:

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Hypertech is a waste of $$. Find a tuner in your area who uses LS1 Edit. BTW my Hypertech III is for sale.;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Power Programer III

Dirty_Red,

I'm currently running the Power Programer III on my 1999 C5 and about the only benifit I really see from it is the Cooling Fans turns on sooner . I'm running a 6 speed so the shift program (for automatics) doesn't do anything for me. If you plan to do anymore engine mods, e.g. heads, cam, etc., etc., you may want to hold off on the Power Programer III. You'll just have to get your on board compurter reprogramed for the egnine mods.

If I had it to do over again I would put the $319.00 towards long tube headers or something like that, but hey, that's just me !

Hang in there and look forward to hearing from you again. . . .

Later,

Cecil
German American Corvette Club
of BAden-Wurttemberg
Heidelberg, Germany
:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts