Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me apologize for not being very good with the camera. Out of 22 pictures... these pitiful samples are the best ones that I have. I am not very good at interior pictures :crazy:

Anyways, I covered the console lid, made my own shift boot, made my own steering wheel cover, and did some door handle covers out of red suede. I did it all myself out of leather suede purchased from Tandy Leather and it came out better than the pictures show.

It started when I had to fix the latch on my console lid and realized that I could recover that myself instead of buying a leather lid. When that came out nice, I started to get the nerve to try and do the boot and then the wheel.

The boot has one seam in the front (leather sewing skills from 35 years ago in the cub scouts) and I just made it to match the shape of the stock vinyl boot.

The steering wheel cover is actually back and red suede, but I used a double stitch to attach it to the wheel (I think its called a baseball stitch).

I just did the door handle covers to hide the "ring" marks from the previous owner of the car. I think I'll end up redoing them... or modifying them a little bit later. I know its not for everyone, but I love it and it feels really nice.

By the way, it should hold up well... according to the guys at Tandy, but they do recommend that I use some 3M scotch guard to protect it.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
that looks great, shoot you should sell those as a kit

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that looks great, shoot you should sell those as a kit
People that have seen it have suggested that. While I have been doing it, I didn't know how it was going to come out... and I've been tinkering with it for a while. Maybe if I get some time later... :thumbsup: I wish I was good enough with a camera to be able to do some DIY threads on the forum. The console lid is unbelievably easy.

Thanks for the compliment.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
definetly man. you should sell that stuff, just creat a ebay store account and put those things up there they will sell.

that steering wheel cover and shift boot alone will get some buyers.

you probably wouldnt make enuf on it a month to merrite becomming a vendor here and selling it at DC but i know if I had a c5 id buy something like that for it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.