Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I love my Vette, I am seriously thinking about selling it! With gas prices getting so outrageous with no end in sight, I don't need it anymore. I am not going to pay that kind of money for premium fuel just to run up and down the roads in. I hate paying a car payment every month on a car just sitting in my garage that I am not using too. So, if someone offers me the right amount of cash, I will be an ex-Vette owner!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
what do you plan on replacing it with?

my vete gets better gas mileage than a lot of my friends/family econo-shitboxes...what kind of mileage are you getting?

·
Supporting Dealer
307 Posts
As a fellow performance car owner, I can appreciate what you're talking about. But, just to play devil's advocate:

How much extra are you really paying to fill up the tank than you were when you were okay with it? A few bucks?

I'm not saying selling it isn't a good idea, just wanted to provide food for thought. That's usually what changes my mind: yeah, gas is expensive, but it used to cost me $42 to fill up my tank. Now it costs me $50, which isn't the end of the world. That's a fast food lunch.

K. Andrew Serum
Director of Business Development and eCommerce
Superior Chevrolet
www.chevyusa.com

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me, I know all of this and I know I will be sick once it's gone and belongs to someone else. It is just that I can't stand the thought of buying someone else a Ferrari or a Lambo, etc. with the money they are gouging me with!!! I am just sick of the hosing we are getting in America from these oil companies!!! I would rather you just take a gun and try to rob me where I can and will defend myself rather than rob me like they are with nothing I can do about it!!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
ok. lets say it is costing an extra $15 per tank. lets also assume 1 tank a week.

this is assuming 15,600 miles per year, at $4.50 per gallon for premium.

1 tank x 52 weeks = $780 per year extra.

now, with your typical econo-shitbox costing in the range of $25,000....

lets say this car gets 25% more fuel mileage (for a total of 27mpg city/highway) and fuel costs $.50 less per gallon. using this, you will save about $1,000 per year (about $83 per month)

now, if your new econo-shitbox's monthly payment is $83 or less per month, you will come out ahead.....

·
Only green will do...
18,389 Posts
I know it sucks, hell my bitchin Huyndai i would fill her up for 25$ now its almost 40$ yea it sucks, but the vert as for me whatever it costs it will stay, good luck on your decision, but IMO you should keep the vert
very nice, indeed

·
Registered
205 Posts
No offence but your letting to MAN win if you cave. Just like cash for clunkers rip off program. The government wants us all to go green with electric cars. What ya going to do when that bill hits the roof? We already have rolling black outs in the summer so lets tax that system even more.

I stand my ground and smile at the pump with my 73 Blazer lifted on 38s, Rat Rod 1973 step side, and/or my Vette. All V8s :nuts:

My income is less then $20K a year. If I can do it. Anybody else should have no prob.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Everyone feels your pain (well us little people), I dont make big bucks at all but I know what I like and how to budget. Its over $70 to fill mine from near empty and i cannot use anything other than premium (no knock sensor to save my ass). But my 'vette isnt my DD so if i dont got the cash to fill it i can park it. You should keep your 'vette as a weekend toy/ cruiser because you'll regret selling it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are like family giving great advice to me!!! Better yet, you are actually taking the time to break it down for me as far as dollars go! That is a family sticking together!!! If I were to sell it that would all be gone and I know this, I am just really frustrated with this whole deal and that comment about letting the man win really hits hard and is an eye opener! I definitely don't want the govt to get ahead in anyway and me caving would be a win for them for sure! Thanks for the input!!!!!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
You guys are like family giving great advice to me!!! Better yet, you are actually taking the time to break it down for me as far as dollars go! That is a family sticking together!!! If I were to sell it that would all be gone and I know this, I am just really frustrated with this whole deal and that comment about letting the man win really hits hard and is an eye opener! I definitely don't want the govt to get ahead in anyway and me caving would be a win for them for sure! Thanks for the input!!!!!
i have had to break it down for a lot of my friends/family that wanted to "save" money by buying a new vehicle....

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
Trust me, I know all of this and I know I will be sick once it's gone and belongs to someone else. I am just sick of the hosing we are getting in America from these oil companies!!! I would rather you just take a gun and try to rob me where I can and will defend myself rather than rob me like they are with nothing I can do about it!!
The Corvette get great gas milage. To be honest. Nothing you say makes sense. :huh:

Jr.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
So many ways to save money and use the extra on the gas. Put $60 in the tank and park it for awhile. If you have a secure garage you can insure your car for around 400 a year. Next time you are at a fast food place get 3 $1 burgers and put the extra 5 you saved in the tank.:laughing:

Keep the car and enjoy life, the money you saved wont mean **** when you are dead.

BLK 1 :buhbye:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Corvette get great gas milage. To be honest. Nothing you say makes sense. :huh:

Jr.
Yeah, it gets good mileage, but when you figure the extra money it costs to be premium fuel over regular fuel it still doesn't justify driving it a lot. Plus, mine is built and it is sorta addictive to drive it fast which in turn makes that mileage go down quite a bit to not so good MPG's! Which part doesn't make sense to you because I would be more than happy to explain myself to you!! This whole gas price gouging deal has pretty much disgusted me and that should make sense to anyone!!!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Not to worry. I saw Obama on the news tonight. He's setting up a watchdog to make sure no one is working the system and taking advantage of us working people by artificially hiking gas prices. I look for the price to come down any minute.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Sell all your other Junk
and keep the vette :thumbsup:

Econo mizer :nuts:

Bon

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
well, not sure what to say. the math shows that you will spend more money monthly with purchasing a new/used econo-shitbox. you claim you cannot afford the gas for the vette. so how would you afford a higher amount to purchase a different vehicle?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not to worry. I saw Obama on the news tonight. He's setting up a watchdog to make sure no one is working the system and taking advantage of us working people by artificially hiking gas prices. I look for the price to come down any minute.

Here's a link to a news article I read relating to this watchdog group. I hope there is manipulation and they actual do something about it. Someone will take a fall, and as always I'm sure there will be some finger pointing.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.9ea60fb38cd63202043ecd72699f62f9.171

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9MO7UIO1.htm

1 - 20 of 66 Posts