Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here and I'm already looking for help:D . The lower bushing in my distributor has about 1/16th inch side to side play in the bushing. Can I replace that bushing? if so were would I find it. Also the main shaft is a little rough from the bushing, can I just sand it smooth or does it also need replaced?

Thanks. Greg.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I hate to say this but you better off going to a junyard for something that seems correct....IF you are on a budget....or just exchanging for a 'rebuilt' off some supply house...AZ/NAPA....etc....too much playing around getting parts otherwise.....

cost about the same in the final anal y sis...

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
This is my first post here and I'm already looking for help:D . The lower bushing in my distributor has about 1/16th inch side to side play in the bushing. Can I replace that bushing? if so were would I find it. Also the main shaft is a little rough from the bushing, can I just sand it smooth or does it also need replaced?

Thanks. Greg.
I assume we are talking about a tach drive dizzy?:D

·
Registered
959 Posts
you can buy the lower bushing from most Corvette vendors, you should replace the shaft if it`s that bad and while you are there the side gear and the grease and seal in the top well (under the points plate)...only problem is with every distributor I have ever changed the lower bushing on they needed to be honed to fit the shaft, we did it on a rod hone by hand with a small stone.
...redvetracr

forgot to add...look at the housing under the tach drive gear, if it`s chewed up all the rebuilding in the world won`t help, it needs a plug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the bushings and an install tool at one of the corvette suppliers. I'm worried if I replace the main shaft that it may be a different shape where the weights mount changing my centrifical advance limits. Is this going to be a problem?

Greg

·
Registered
959 Posts
I found the bushings and an install tool at one of the corvette suppliers. I'm worried if I replace the main shaft that it may be a different shape where the weights mount changing my centrifical advance limits. Is this going to be a problem?

Greg

maybe but it can be corrected on a Sun distributor machine

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Greg
The new shafts from Mid-America and Paragon work perfect with the stock weights. Not a problem. Install the brass stop bushing from a Mr. Gasket spring kit, with 1 silver and 1 black spring.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
You bet. BTW, are you using a high volume pump? Altough the upper bushings rarely wear, 1/16" play on the lower is quite a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, its a high volume pump. I'm thinking about going back to a stock pump as this engine only has about 2500 miles since its rebuild and the gauge is always pegged at 70lbs. I'm sure thats why the bushings so bad.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Watch some of the replacement main shafts and gears. I had a few bad ones a couple of year ago. I machined up my own bushings to fit. I'm running a stock pump in my 020 over 350 and it pegs 70 psi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts